Sign in to follow this  
Guest insomniac_dragon

Water Clarifier Harmful To Goldies?

Guest insomniac_dragon

i'm looking into a good water clarifier... when i feed my fish oranges, it clouds the water... and even though i change water often... i still get this greyish tint in the water... someone told me about water clarifier...

which brand is good and is it harmful to my goldies? does it work well with Prime?

I purchased a water clarifier when I first started my tank to try to get rid of a greyish-white fog, but it didn't really help, and I found out that the cloudy water was due to a bacterial bloom anyway - the product of my still-cycling tank. If it's the same situation in your tank, you might want to just make sure that your tank lights aren't on 24/7, and things will stabilize themselves as the tank finishes cycling. It sounds like your biobugs are having a party with the extra ammonia in the tank. :yay: They'll simma-down in a few days, I think?

if not, then maybe someone'll have to call the cops to break up the party :krazy:

You can get a filter paper that is much finer to filter out the waste.

Be aware that oranges are acidic - if there is that much you may want to watch your pH readings, also.

Silly, messy fish. :lol:

Guest insomniac_dragon

oh, ic... parties in my tank?? that's no good... school's starting, there should be no parties going on! hehehe. i'm totally into raising nerdy goldies! heheh.

thanks eat bubbles for the info... my tank has the cloudy greyish color... and the PH is off in my tank, i'm trying to fix it now...

daryl thank you for the tip... i will try the filter pad... but exactly what kind of filter pad, like what brand and what is it called? and i'm new to raising goldfish, so i have no clue what kind i should get...

orange is acidic... hmm... so what should i do when the water became too acidic? do i add something in there? or just do water changes like a few days in a roll?

What does your PH read as currently? My pH is always high, around 8.0 or so, and that's okay for goldfish. I made the mistake of using a 'stabilizer' once, because I thought that the pH HAD to be in the "neutral" range, and all of my goldfish' fins were bloodshot within an hour. :krazy:

I dunno about how much the orange affects the pH, though. how long do you leave the slices in for?

Guest insomniac_dragon

my ph is 8.4... it's always high because of the area i live in... i bought some ph down just now, i was hoping to get it to at least 8.0... i haven't put any in yet... i've been using stress tyme... and it seemed to help, although i'm not for sure...

and i usually leave the slice in the tank for about 12 hours... since it takes them whole day to eat...

Guest insomniac_dragon

well, i'm going to change some more water these few days and see if i can get the greyish cloub to go away... there were water chemistry problems in my tank...

if it doesn't go away... i'll be back to get more inputs...

thanks everyone for the help.

If I'm not mistaken, 8.4 might be okay for goldfish anyway?? either way, it might be better to leave it than to mess with pH-stabilizing chemicals... dunno.

I wonder how long oranges can be left in the tank before they affect pH? :hmm

Guest insomniac_dragon

yeah, i think i better leave the ph thing alone... it sounds complicated...

sometimes my fish acts a little funny, they just floats around... but not constipated... and i throw a few slices of orange in the tank... immediately they became better and swims around, even before they started eating the orange. So i guess my ph was probably too high and the acid helped lowering it. it's just a lot of work to change water all the time, if i want to feed them oranges... it gets cloud up, they love oranges and they're healthy on it... and since no one believe water clarifiers are good for goldfish... i will just have to change more water to keep it clear... and keep them healthy.

thanks everyone.

I like Mardel's Brite and Clear. You put it in and 24 hours later it clears the water. I was skepitcal at first :lol1 but it works. ;) Make sure you shake the bottle well before you add it and follow the directions to the amount you should put in per gallon. The cap has measuring lines on the inside. It works well and does not seem to bother my goldies. And unlike other water clarifiers where you have to remove the filter media when using you do not have to do so with this

Edited by goldfishcrazy2

Normally, I prefer to feed the natural food reather than use an additive or a supplement but I do feel wary about putting oranges in my tank - messy and pH issues - so I started feeding liquid vitamin C by soaking spirulina flakes in it. I did this more frequently when I had a sick fish (becuase of immune boosting properties of vit c - also good for injured fish as vit c increase cellular turnover rates) but now I do it once in a while - it is just easier than oranges for me.

I recently used Clarity by Seachem and thought it was OK. I kind of freaked when I first addded it and it turned by water red-brown... like I had poured coffee in. Then I had to clean all of my filter media to get it out o' there. It helped some.. not enough to justify all that.

Guest shin

I've used Aquaclear in the past (I think thats the name) when I had overstocked tanks years ago. It made the water very clear within 24hrs. I never found any affects on my goldies when I used it.