How To Tell Male From Female Fantail Goldfish

Guest kentuckygirl

Guest fishdude

well it ain't that easy :) ........................

but if u find one ur fantail chasing the other,then that means that the chaser is a male and the one being chased is a female :yeah: .also,males develop white pimples on thir giil's durind the time of mating.

If old enough then yes the male will chase the females around.

Other ways are:

Males will show white spots on the gill plates and pec fins (normally after 3yrs of age)

Males have a concave anus vent

Females have a convex curve to the anal vent, (it pokes out a bit) and they look a bit rounder inthe vent then a male.

Under 3 years of age all of the above sighns are hard to spot.

• 5 years later...

since they are fantails, if they are older than two years, you should see a difference if you look from above. The male should be much slimmer. Also the pectorial fin in a male is slightly more pointed most of the time. By the way, no method is 100%. I have a mature male who does not even have one pimple, not even during spawning time! I also have a female who likes to chase around others, especially during feeding! I am however sure of their sex sine I have seen them spawn. What I am sure of is that it is basically impossible to determine the sex of a fish which is not old enough to breed. Also most of the methods help you to distinguish the sex between a number of fish by comparing each other rather than from looking at a single specimen, unless you are really experienced.

• 1 year later...

How do I tell the sex of my fantail goldfish can anyone help me thanks

HI There

I bought two large calico fantails goldenfish one is eating the other I havent seen eat, is there any suggestions for encouraging it to eat?

Hi ben76,

Since this thread is about sexing, you might not get a lot of replies from the members on here. You can make a new thread with the same question and more people will be able to respond and give you help. Also, make sure to fill put the questions in the white box at the top of the page. :)