At Last I Managed To Get A Close Pic

Guest fishdude

A jikin's tail should like it goes out to the side in a 90 degree angle, which yours doesn't on the picture. One from above might clear it up to see how the angle of the tail is. It looks somewhat like that....

http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/jikin/jikin.htm

Yes as Ranchugirl posted

check the pics out

another thing of note is:

"credit to Fancy goldfish" so I do not breach copyright

A Jikin is a rare japanese variety so hard to get a hold of...it has a long cigar-shaped body thats is all white

it has red fins, lips and gill covers

They are not born this way but they are MADE this way by removing the red scales when young.

edit to add:

They can grow to 9 inches

Guest squeeker

nope, definately not a jikin, but a cute fantail. Very nice fish nonetheless... I also like the other one in the pic with the matte scales!

yeah they pull the red scales off and they grown in white. Honey your fish is not a jikin, Im sorry. It is, however, a very beautiful fantail!

I was SURE my ranchu was a lionhead, because that was what was on the sign at the store and that is what the employee told me it was.

I posted a photo here and 100% of the people told me it was a ranchu. After doing my research I found that they are right.

These people here are very smart and know what they are talking about. Im sorry that someone told you wrong. You should go back there and set them straight.

I just :heart your fantail though! I have one too. He is black and orange (after his 4th color change!) and his name is Mutt. :D

yeah they pull the red scales off and they grown in white.

452558[/snapback]

When I talked to one of the US jikin breeders, he told me that they only pull off scales if there are only a few on the body. They don't do that with dozens and dozens of scales. With more red on the body, they just leave it that way, and its not a perfect jikin, but a jikin nonetheless. Those jikin in the link are top quality, but I have seen perfectly lovely jikin with lots of red on their bodies. DandyOrandas.com sold some of them not so long ago. :heart

Well, it's not a Jinkin but don't worry! When I first started keeping goldies I too thought I got a Jinkin it had a splayed tail (and I really didn't really know rhe details of Jenkins)

it ends up I had a short tailed Ryukin! Live & Learn!! :)

Archived