Goldfish Id

Guest om on the range

Guest om on the range

Happy New Year one and all!

I am brand new to the forum, and relatively new to the aquarium hobby. I have a 110 liter tank with 3 goldies in it, and I was wondering if you guys could clear something up for me.

When I got my fish at the LFS, they were marketed as calico orandas. They didn't have any head growth, but I had read where they do not get their full growth until

about 2 1/2 years (and these fish were relatively small - about an inch and a half of body length, not including the tail), so I didn't worry.

My fish have grown some, and recently I was at another LFS where I saw some orandas that were smaller than mine, and they already had the beginnings of

their hood!

I can't attach a pic of my little goldie family yet; could you guys help me with what kind they might be? They sort of look like a cross between a regular fantail and a ryukin to me; they have a long, deeply forked tail held fairly high, but they don't have the dorsal hump that ryukins have.

BTW, their names are Scooter, Tang, and Bruiser.

Thanks so much!

WElcome to Kokos! :D

REalize that the different breeds of goldfish interbreed easily between them. And, expressed within each separate breed, you will find individuals that come from both ends of the spectrum in regards to conformation.

Orandas frequently do not get much wen or head growth until they are a bit older. I like them to wait until they get a bit of body mass and muscle before they carry too much wen - they are better balanced and muscled that way.

That being said - so much depends on the genetic makeup of the individual fish. They are going to develop what they are programed by nature to develop. You can help or hinder in a few ways, but, by and large, it is what it is.

A baby oranda of only 1 1/2 inches should only be a month or two old. A well kept Oranda can reach 8 iches easily at the end of one year. During that time, they may also be growing a massive wen, a top knot, or only a smaller wen that gently covers their head and cheeks. The "babies" you are seeing in the store may actually be much older than your fish - it is impossible to tell unless you know the breeder. Genetics, water parameters, food, water quality, etc. all determine the size of the fish as well as the size and shape of the wen.

IT is entirely possible that your fish are a cross between an oranda and a ryukin. Or that one had a great grandparent of the ryukin persuasion. It is possible that they are very young oranda. It is possible that they may develop late or little. It is fun to watch and see what develops.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your little guys! :D

Yep, It's fun to see how they grow! I have a small Oranda & a small Lionhead! I can't wait to see them grow into great big olr goldies!!

Good luck on your fishies!! :D

As far as wren growth...it's just different for each fish. My Oranda, Big Boy, really has a tight compact wren. If you wanna see a big wren search this site for a picture of Koko's goldie, Pharoah! Good Lawd!!

Guest 92izzy

I have a 2 fantails!

Kasumi( a really fat fantail) an dmy new fisy i havnt named yet(Fantail- medium sized....)

My New fantail is medium siz and orange and white. Kasumi is a peach colored Fat fish. And it was a medium on when we got it..so my new fishy which was like...the biggest medium fantail is like...a dot compared to kasumi...LOL

My blue oranda and red cap oranda are about 2.5 inches. I went to the lfs a few days ago and their blue and red cap orandas were smaller than mine with HUGE headgrowth! I was bummed to see that, lol. But Mine are like that too. Their headgrowth just may not end up being that big, but feeding them a good quality food may help.

I had been feeding flakes for the last 6 months and my fish have only grown an INCH!!!!! So I switched to Hikari Oranda Gold for my orandas and ranchu, and I got Hikari Gold for my other single-tailed fish, my moors, and my fantail. :)

Guest 92izzy

Lol. I feed my fantails Wardley Floating Goldfish Pellets(evan though the new one has NO idea what they are because it came from Wal*Mart and they only feed them flakes and Kasumi keeps eating them. <_< But she was like that too at first) and my Gups Tetramin tropical flakes.

lol I just changed from flakes to pellets yesterday. The fish dont seem to like the chnage so far. When I put it in the tank they could smell the food, but didnt know the weird round things was the food. lol. They started to get used to it, but they arent to enthusiastic about it.

You never know with petstore fish =o)

I bought a blue fantail, that was actually an Oranda. He grew a big high top wen starting the day after I bought him.....

I bought a fantail that grew into a Ryukin hump and all....

I bought a Ryukin that was actually a fantail......

I bought a lionhead that doesn't have a wen yet.....

I bought a calico oranda that I am pretty sure is actually a fantail.....LOL

They really do not know what they are talking about usually. I saw a bunch of fancies that were all mislabeled just this weekend when I was looking at fish!

:heart Jessica

Top grade orandas get huge wens but lower grade orandas dont have such a big wen. Also depends on the genetic strain of the fish. I have a 2 inch (w/ tail) oranda that already has a huge wen. He has a hard time swimming though.

Guest om on the range

LOL Jessica! I don't feel so bad now! :rofl

I feed my fish a variety of foods. I also have a 10gal tank that has just

platies, and another 29gal community tank that has angels and tetras. Between

the three tanks, I rotate what foods I give them, so that they have more

variety. As far as the goldies go, they get:

OSI goldfish flakes

Wardley Cichlid flakes

Algae disks

frozen brine shrimp

frozen blood worms

Not all of them at once, though! :) My goldies have a particular fondness