Sign in to follow this  
Guest UpliftHarp

My Albino Oranda?

Guest UpliftHarp

I work at vvvv and I recently found what I believe to be an albino oranda in a group of calico orandas. He is completely covered in pink/white scales and red eyes. He is currently living in my 55 gallon. He seems to be in great shape and very healthy and is getting along well with the other fish in the tank. I have included a cute picture of him side by side with my shubunkin.

n11004465_30100420_9430.jpg

I wanted to know what you guys thought. Is he a true albino? He matches all of the descriptions I've read about albino goldfish and I found him in a shoal of healthy calicos so I doubt he has been dyed. Also, does he need any kind of special treatment?

He seems to be doing good and part of the point of this thread is so I can show him off. :D Also, I haven't come up with a name for him yet. Any suggestions?

Edited by UpliftHarp

wow. never seen an albino oranda! Snatch it! lol. It looks like a lemonhead with orange eyes...are you sure they are red or pink and not orange?

Guest UpliftHarp

They look orange in the pic. but his eyes are actually a very dark red if you see them in person.

Weird... I guess he is! That's so cool. What state are you in? If you dont get him I will! lol

Edited by gia_ekdahl

oh and no, no additional care is requried. There is nothing wrong with him, he just has no pigment!

Edit: Oops I saw that you already got him. lol. I was getting ahead of myself there.

What a cutie! :heart I hope that he's an albino, that would be a rare fishy indeed. Although, those eyes did look a bit orange, then again, that might be the pic. Great find nonetheless, that's definately a pretty fish.

I don't know much about feeding fish different types of food to maintain colors, but I do know that spirulina (I might have fudged the spelling) but that is used to help develop healthier golds/oranges. So, you might want to try a food that doesn't contain it.

To be an albino the pupil of the eye is red. From the picture the pupil looks black.

the pupil is red? I thought it was the eye.

Guest UpliftHarp

His diet consists primarily of Hikari Gold pellets and Wardley Total flakes. Both of these are premium brands that also offer a lot of color enhancers. It works well for my other more colorful goldies. Should I look for a different food or not bother? I don't see how it will hurt him. He also enjoys shrimp pellets and boiled spinach ;)

His skin scales don't appear to have pigment but his pupils are black so maybe he isn't a true albino. I don't know.

Edited by UpliftHarp

The pupil is the center of the eye and is always black with the exception of the albino. The albinos pupil is red. Maybe it's just the picture but the pupil looks black. The red area around the eye would not be red in the case of an albino. Just the pupil.

ok what color would the eye be then?

Ok here is says they have pink eyes, but it does not say anything abou t the pupils: http://www.goldfishinfo.com/variet.htm

Ok let me look some more..

Ah HA! a moor with pink pupils. Neat: http://www.ekkwill.com/alblacmoor.html

ok lets see if there is anything else... wow a search for albino goldfish returned hardly any results. Well I guess your right about the pupils! Kewl.

EDIT: I cant believe the caption in that photo says "Albino Black Moor" What the heck is that???? its not black and if its not black its not a moor. Its an albino telescope. These people should do their research before posting that stuff.

Edited by gia_ekdahl

Guest UpliftHarp

In person His scales are exactly the same coloration as the Moor in that pic The eyes are a completely different color though.

So I guess he's not an albino after all. He's still cute though. He is pink but who knows, maybe if I feed him the normal food he might turn orange or something. A Fun Surprise.

EDIT: I just read the site link more carefully and it looks like you can have a fish without skin pigment but that still have a normal eyes. He might be just a white fish without pigment but he is not an albino.

Edited by UpliftHarp

Yup that is true too. Anyhow he is CUTE!!!! Cant wait to see him fully grown! Take care of that baby and take more pics! :D

Those are the best fish though, the ones that change into a surprise. :heart *crosses fingers* Maybe he will stay white, who knows. I bought 2 white ryukins, they were pinkish white and everything and now almost 2 weeks later, they're starting to get black stripes on their fins/tails...so, my bet are calicos for me. Maybe you'll get a cute little red and white? :lol:

Guest orandabuhlanda

Nice find, how do you guys know its an oranda, doesn't seem to have any headgrowth.

it looks like it does to me. :) I think the body shape on an oranda is a little different than a fantail. For some reason I can always tell, even if there is little headgrowth.

EDIT: This fish looks very young, probably why you dont see much growth yet. :)

Edited by gia_ekdahl

Sorry, that's not an albino =o(

It's just a white fish, with red around it's eyes. It was probably red and white, or all red and turned to white, which is why it still has the red around the eyes.

I'll post you a picture of an albino.

Albino Oranda

Trust me, white goldfish and albino's are my passion ;)

:heart Jessica

I also want to say, he is a beautiful white fish! All white fish that are fancies, are hard to find where I live! I'm jealous =o)

:heart Jessica

WHOW! That is one cool lookin oranda!!! Is that yours???????holy cow

No it's not mine =o) It's one from The Fish Sempei, I think he gets them from the Tung Hoi Aquarium co. I read on his site he will take orders for them, they are not cheap though =o)

Jessica