The Search For The Perfect Mollies

may

I don't have room for any new tanks until I move out, which is a year and a half away at the soonest. But I have some room in my "big" tank (28 gallons) for more fish, and I've decided on mollies. Since these are the last fish I'll get for a long time, I'm going to be really picky and get exactly what I want. I like the balloon body, lyretail mollies. It's easy to find balloon or lyretail, but not both, around here.

Here's a site with a pic of what I'm talking about:

http://www.fish2u.com/mobal.html

I'm hoping for a white one, but I'd take black too.

I've got a few more stores left to try... my favorite lfs, which is a little far away but has good variety and is more likely to order something for me, and a few stores that I've never been to. I'm planning on taking a trip today, at least to one of the stores.

Just thought I'd share my excitement! I know you can all relate to how fun it is to get a new fish!

Guest Luke Anderson

Mollies are very nice fish I hope you find what you want:P

You say you are hoping for "a" white one, does that mean you are only getting one fish? Mollies need to be kept in groups to live very well. Also if you plan on keeping both sexes you need to keep at least 2 females for every male. ANother thing to note is that balloon mollies are very prone to swim bladder trouble and constipation just like fancy goldfish, so be ready for that. (disregarde my whole post if you already knew those things :) )

Heh, sorry, that was a typo... I'm planning on getting 1 male and 3 females, I think 4 will be enough to keep them happy. I didn't know about the constipation and swim bladder issue, so thanks! I'm sure lots of veggies like peas would help them just like goldfish, right?

Guest Luke Anderson

4 should be plenty to keep them happy, i have read 3 is the minimum :)

Yes balloon mollies becuase of their sort of rounded "scrunched up" shape, they have a lot of sbd problems like ryukins and other fancies. Peas and other veggies are a very good suppliment, but also make sure they get plenty of protein food like frozen blooworms, as they help keep them regular too B)

Those are beautiful mollies! Ive worked at our store almost a year and have never seen that combination before! Not to further confuse you but have you ever seen the guppytail mollies? Theyre the standard molly body type but have a very long flowing tail. I think theyre so gorgeous. I was just saying that because you can fit a lot more than 4 mollies in that tank, so if you wanted other suggestions? ;)

Keep the tank well planted (either live or fake plants) and the babies should have plenty of places to hide and grow up. Also be sure that when the babies are born (unless theyre in a breeder net) put something like a sponge or nylon over the filter intake to prevent them from being sucked up (because thats awful and you definitely dont want that).

One last note, just in case you didnt know, is that mollies actually do really well with some salt in their water. At our store we sometimes sell them as saltwater feeders because they can live a long time in the tanks. Theyre native to rivers that can be brackish at times so some salt will really help them out. Good luck in your search!

Guest Luke Anderson

Contrary to popular belief mollies do not need to be kept with salt. In the wild only 2 breeds of mollies are brackish, and even those breeds have been bred in captivity so long they do excellent without salt.

info: http://fishgeeks.com/index.php?name=PNphpB...ewtopic&t=12356

And jsrtist i beleive she already has other fish in this tank ;)

Archived