Did I Make A Mistake?

shark_energy

So I bought these 7 Ramshorn Snails and a bag of some floating plant. My tank isn't that big so I put 2 of the snails in with my 3 fish and a couple of the floating plants.

To keep the rest of the floating plants safe I put them in my original fish bowl along with the 5 remaining snails. Have I just gone and providied them with enough food to fill themselves up, breed and multiply in their hundreds?

Within 5 hours I saw all 5 of them in a big orgy like heap and then a few hours later I spotted at least 1 baby snail (they don't work that quick surely!)

Ramshorns dont breed that quickly, youre right. They lay eggs and unlike the pest snails it takes a male and female snail to multiply. What youre probably seeing are some pest snails that came in on the plant. A lot of times they'll be small round black or brown snails, or sometimes tall spiral ones. I always disinfect my plants with PP or Had a Snail before putting them in my tank so I get rid of snails or unwanted parasites. That will however kill your ramshorns so treat them separately. Also just a word of warning, those snails wont last long in that bowl. Just like fish they need clean, filtered water. They are just as messy as goldfish. They are also tropical and like their water to stay pretty warm, so depending where you live you may need a heater for them. I like to recommend about 5 gallons per snail. I have a full grown adult in a filtered 10 gallon with one betta and he gets that tank dirty so quickly! Also be sure and provide food like zucchini or cucumber or algae pellets for your snails. They like a little meat in their diets too.

Archived