Fry With Bent Spines

jsrtist

My fry are now 5 days old :D and I literally have several hundred! I am noticing though that many of them have bent spines. There are different degrees and some are only minor. Im wondering what the normal rate of this is, and if its something Ive done or am doing that could be causing the problem. I will have to cull out the worst ones and keep an eye on the others and see how they do.

They are all eating well and it is so amazing to watch them grow each day! They are all mobile now and just darting all over the tank.

BTW if anyone has a pond and would like some baby shubunkins this summer, please let me know! :)

Jen, I don't think its anything you are doing - its just the natural way of things. There will always be fry with bent spines and other funky things going on. How big of a percentage compared to the total number of fry have bent spines you think?

I was hoping it was just something natural. I'd say maybe half have some degree of a bend in their spines. In some its very minor. Some of the really bad ones died early on.

I have 12 day old frys that have very bad deformities too....some are curved upward like the letter C and some have body shapes like an S :( It is heartbreaking to see them struggle swim :( I am thinking of culling too but that also makes me feel sad...

Guest nz_turtle_girl

i'm not an expert but i would have to say about 30% of fry have a deformitie, some are noticible some are not. and that 50% of the population die for no reson. its just natures way of making sure the stongest surive. so dont feel bad :)