Snail Advice

shark_energy

My girlfriend thought that it owuld be good for tank cleaning to put 2 snails in. We did.

So far its ok, the fish didn't mind. All of a sudden though just now the fish freaked out and all 3 are now zooming about the place and not leaving the floor.

One of the snails keeps letting out some gunk that looks like fish poo but could it be something else?

What are the general tips on snails in with goldfish?

Guest Pearlscale

I found this information for you that might be your problem, but I am not sure.

"Snails- Many kinds of snails perform a useful function in the aquarium as they eat algae. Most snails feed on rotting vegetation, and leftover food. There are some disadvantages to snails; The Wandering Snail produces a poisonous substance that may cause convulsions in fish. The snail also has an appetite for fish spawn. You should remove them from tanks in which you are using for breeding fish. There are different types of medications available to rid your tank of snails if you should decide to do so! Goldfish will sometimes make a meal out of a snail by sucking it from its shell!"

I got this information from http://www.goldfishinfo.com/pests.htm

That article didn't mention what kind of snail. Apple snails are usually pretty good. I have one in my tank and have have had no problems. Maybe they just need to get used to him.

Guest Pearlscale

"The Wandering Snail" produces a poisonous substance that may cause convulsions in fish."

You might want to do a search to see what a wondering snail looks like.

My sister has 3 apple snails in her goldfish tank to and she loves them. I think it will be a new addition to my tank soon.

Good luck with finding answers, but hopefully by now your fish are doing better.

Im sure its just snail waste hes letting out. Theyre just as messy as goldfish. They are good in that they'll munch on algae but just like a fish they add to the bioload of a tank. How long ago did you put the snails in? If its been a few days its possible that you might be having a rise in ammonia and thats affecting the fish. Get your water tested to rule that out. Also just a warninga lot of snails can host parasites so you may have unknowingly introduced a parasite into your tank. Keep an eye out for more unusual behavior like flashing. But my guess is an upset in yoru water quality.

Not sure what species of snail they use to serve escargot, but I have tried it. I don't think it's all that great. The flavor wasn't bad. It mostly tasted like the garlic butter it was served in. I couldn't get past the fact it was like chewing a rubber band. Not an appetizing dish in my opinion. :P

Archived