Updated December Shots Of My 300

Reef Man

In the third picture you see a teardrop clam, and yes that is a starfish... It is a Blue Linckia laevigata....it is a relatively common species that grows to 12" in length....Does very well in a reef tank once it is acclimatized...That is the hard part...they don't travel well, so they do require patience getting into your system!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here is my first question. What size tank is good for a beginner? I know that a higher volume of water allows for little glitches to not be so catostrophic.

So the question is how low can you go and still have enough water to smooth over newbie mistakes and stock enough creatures to make it interesting? I know Koko has a nano cube (I forget what size).

That is the million dollar question.... The truth is the bigger the better for new reef keepers....certainly doesn't have to be a 300g....but I would never recommend a nano size tank for a beginner reef keeper.... I would say if you could go with a 125g do it...many start at a 70 gal range and some at a 30-29 gal range...but I personally wouldn't go below a 55 to start with....but the choice is certainly up to you....

:druel You are evil Reef Man.

OK, say I have a big tank and stand, maybe even 125 gallons. What else do I need to just get started? Live sand and/or rock (more questions about that later), marine salt, a heater, and powerheads to circulate the water? Is tap water ok or do you need to use something more pure? What do you condition the water with?

What is the difference between reef ready tanks and regular tanks. I see the box along the back wall, but what is in it?

:druel You are evil Reef Man.

OK, say I have a big tank and stand, maybe even 125 gallons. What else do I need to just get started? Live sand and/or rock (more questions about that later), marine salt, a heater, and powerheads to circulate the water? Is tap water ok or do you need to use something more pure? What do you condition the water with?

What is the difference between reef ready tanks and regular tanks. I see the box along the back wall, but what is in it?

451480[/snapback]

I know!!! :rofl LR and sand will work...there are many who even go with a bare bottom reef set up... I am using CC as a substrate as I have a large refugium that takes care of the nitrates!! If you are going with a reef tank you would need to use RO water or RO/DI water.... You will add different kinds of chemicals as the tank develops....Ca...some buffers...but with RO water you really don't need to do any water conditioners....

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked this thread and am amazed at that tank Reef Man. Terrific! Makes my 65g look so small. What is the brilliant orange coral in picture 2? Looking at the other corals on the bottom and in the vicinity I originally thought it might be something tolerant of lower light, but with that clam not too far away I suspect it isn't, and yet the mushrooms don't look fried.

OK, no need to ID the coral. I read further down in the forum and found your ID in the thread about the pink ricordia. I'm still having trouble with that oh so important requirement with salt water; read, read, read and then read some more and only then can you begin to even think about making a move.