Sign in to follow this  
Marx

Any Information On My Mirrorscaled Goldfish?

I really hope someone can help me with finding information on my mirrorscaled goldfish, a name I gave it myself by the way :D

I bought it a few months ago out of a tank with all normal goldfish of his size and colour. Beceause of his beautifull perfect row of big scales on his side.

I knew he was a very special fish but now he is so special that there seem to be no others of his kind on the internet nor are there breeders or pictures.

In theory he could be a cross between a carp and a goldfish but even then he seems unique in that there are no brothers and sisters known like him ;)

I really would like to see at least 1 of his kind or some written info on the internet. I know I've posted the same topic months ago but that didn't help me in getting pictures or information on the internet.

Here's a picture of the beauty :heart I really hope for some information beceause I want to breed him to my oranda and see what happens in the second generation or it even might be dominant and in the first ofspring ;)

marc126.jpg

I'm almost certain that is a koi but to be 100% check to see if it has barbels at the corner of its mouth, they will look like tiny whiskers. if it has none it is either a true goldfish or a hybrid, but I have never seen a goldfish or hybrid with mirror scales.

Kevin

I'm almost certain that is a koi but to be 100% check to see if it has barbels at the corner of its mouth, they will look like tiny whiskers. if it has none it is either a true goldfish or a hybrid, but I have never seen a goldfish or hybrid with mirror scales.

Kevin

446537[/snapback]

He has no barbels and on the koivet messageboard I've seen pictures of hybrids that are all brownish and blueish. Mine is a perfect orange.

Here he is with my fantail and as you can see the heads look similar in shape and form. If he was a hybrid he couldn't be bright orange I think. But the scales do look like a carp and he has a torpedo like carpshape. ;)

marc177.jpg

maybe he is a descendednt of an ancient goldfish breed that the gene that made it what it was skips every 90 generations and he got it this time.

...just a thought...

He have mirror scale koi come in ALL the time as "feeders" :/ Very cute little guys... mostly lemons and silvers...

they are very beautiful fish, mainly pond fish as they grow huge, there is one at my local fish shop i wanted to by him, but i cant i have to many, he is about 30cm lovely tail, and a yellow colour hes $40.

But he's not a koi. He has no barbels and no lips like a carp so he's not a carp ;)

I do not think its a koi or a hybrid. It does not look like any hybrid Ive ever seen. It looks like a goldfish with funky scales! Thats all I can say.

I think its safe to classify it as a common, but with a defect in its scales. VERY PRETTY! Lucky you!

Do you call him a "mirrorscale" because of his highly metalic color?? My ryukin is very shiny and metalic looking as well.

no they are there own breed, they are like a noraml fish but have a perfect straight line down there body made of large scales, they are matelic, they look magnificent.

no they are there own breed, they are like a noraml fish but have a perfect straight line down there body made of large scales, they are matelic, they look magnificent.

446939[/snapback]

Yes that's correct and in this case the scales are so big and shiny that they are even nicer than in a mirrorcarp. The rest of his body is like normal leather without any scale :exactly

Guest shepherdqueen

Whatever type of goldfish he is, he is very stunning!

I've seen heaps of those kind of goldies around, they are just stuck with all the other commons ;) They are definately not koi, seeing as koi are illegal here :)

I dont really like commons/comets, so i've never bought one.

Hmm Never heard of it or seen such. You learn something new everyday. :)

They are definately not koi, seeing as koi are illegal here

WHere are you from and why are they illegal?? :blink:

They are definately not koi, seeing as koi are illegal here

WHere are you from and why are they illegal?? :blink:

447225[/snapback]

Wow, that's what I'd like to know, too. Maybe it sounds ignorant of me, but I simply couldn't understand why they would be outlawed anywhere, unless you mean, they're against rules in certain housing situations, etc. I'm definately interested though.

Yea koi are a "noxious pest" here in queensland, if they get into our water systems its screwed, they root up al the plants making the water muddy, therefore decreasing the plant matter and oxygen levels, this in turn makes the water quality bad and kills other fish/animals that live in the waterways. Up to $150 000 fines apply if your found to have them in your possesion - alive or dead.

As you can see we have a VERY scrict customs/quaranteen system. Many animals you see as "just another pet" are highly illegal here. We cant have rabbits, ferrets, those red ear turtles and many other exotic lizards/turtles/amphibians.

wwwoooowwww. Who would let a koi go? That is so weird. Yes very strict.

That's cool how the scales run right down it's sides like that. I hope you find the breed of fish you are looking for. Your "mirrorscale" is very gorgeous.

Oh and in regaurds to the question about mirror scaled fish....I think you are talking about a "metalic" colored fish. The mirror scaled fish have a line of large scales on the body. I had a koi like this once too. It had no scales anywhere else but it did have the mirror scales on the side.

Here are my fish...One has metallic scales. That is my blue oranda, which is actually a silvery-grey with brown patches.

Here you see my koi, up at the top by the dorsal fin you can see some mirror scales. There were no other scales on this fish. Some koi are like that. Some goldfish are MATTE though. THey have scales but they are clear, letting the skin color show through. The result makes it look as if it does not have any scales. This is common in calico fish/ Most calicos have clear scales and shiny ones, making them sparkle like sequins. The black moor has matte colored scales although Im not sure if they are "clear" or not. I do not think they are because I can see the definition of the scales, but there is no shine. Anyways, sorry for all that! lol. Just trying to give some other options to figure out why your fish may look like it does.

post-6615-1135295443_thumb.jpg

Oh and in regaurds to the question about mirror scaled fish....I think you are talking about a "metalic" colored fish. The mirror scaled fish have a line of large scales on the body. I had a koi like this once too. It had no scales anywhere else but it did have the mirror scales on the side.

Hi, no I mean a really mirrorscaled goldfish. As you can see my fish on the pictures ;) He has no scales on his body and a line of exceptional large ones on his side. The line on his side in my picture is only a row of scales 1 scale high. The individual scales are as big as the shiny line on his side is high. It's not quite clear on the picture but if you look well you can see what I mean. This trade is normally only found in carps.

I posted my fish on the koi vet messageboard and they told me it's not a carp, maybe a cross but the hybrids normally do not look like him at all.

I have heard of a mirror scale before, aparently a mix but I can not remember what breeds they mixed with.

Someone else on this forum has a mirrorscale aswell

They very beautiful!!

I found this for you:

The mirror carp results from the homozygote recessive ss,nn genotype exclusively. The typical mirror pattern is a single unbroken row of scales on the top of the back, some scales near the tail and at the base of fins. Preferably there are no scales along the lateral line or scattered across the surface of the body in the mirror carp.

The linear carp is basically similar to the mirror, but the lateral line is completely covered by a wide line of scales. This is determined by the SS,Nn and Ss,Nn genotypes.

another bit of info:

In the late 19th, early 20th century a new mutation had been discovered in the river carp in Germany. This mutation affected the scales and some fish were being found without scales at all. These fish were fancied and bred for the table to minimize the scaling needed for food fish. In 1904 these fish were introduced to the Japanese and their breeding began. Today virtually all varieties of koi can be found in standard or ?scale less? types. The ?scale less? fish come in 2 forms, one is completely devoid of scales, (leather carp), and the other has large rows of neatly aligned scales, (mirror carp). Both these varieties are known in Japan as ?Doitsugoi?. After their Germanic/Austrian heritage.

Hope that helps

If I find any more info I will post it.

Edited by LuvMuhFred

here is a site that may interest you, it has a pic aswell

http://www.cfb.ie/fish_farm/coarse_fish/carp_appearance.htm

so from that and the above it could be a mix of a common with a carp or Koi

Here is another site thats about carp and mentions the mirror scales, I just thought I would add this in as its interesting and for the WOW FACTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL I am glad you got a mix breed as check out the pic of this beast!!! ITS ENORMOUS LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, no I mean a really mirrorscaled goldfish. As you can see my fish on the pictures  He has no scales on his body and a line of exceptional large ones on his side.

I saw your photo.

I was answering shawna's question on the first page.

I was showing the difference between a fish that was shiny all over and one with mirror scales.

Here is another site thats about carp and mentions the mirror scales, I just thought I would add this in as its interesting and for the WOW FACTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL I am glad you got a mix breed as check out the pic of this beast!!! ITS ENORMOUS LOL!!!!!!!!!!

447618[/snapback]

I forgot to put the link in silly me

By the way this is not your fish :rofl its a mirrorscale king carp but thought id show the pic for interest

http://www.clawford.co.uk/carp.htm