Sign in to follow this  
love goldfish

What Do You Think

I am thinking of painting the back of two of my tanks. If I decide to do this can I do it with the fish in the tank, covered tightly with plastic. Is there a type of paint that would be better and safer to use. I know not to use oil. Just afraid I won't end of with the color I want. I am going blue, but there are so many choices of blues. Has anyone did this and how did it turn out.

Why not just get some blue paper and tape it to the back? I would think that would be less risky and safer for the fish.

I personally have not done this but I do recall reading a thread about it on here in the spring. I started a search for it but I am just swamped. I know a lot of people have painted their tanks but I can say using paper and spray adhesive with a squeegee is a lot less permanent. People have used wrapping paper and even drawings, lace, fabric or paintings this way. Just a thought... I have a blue background that I put on with spray adhesive used for stenciling on walls. I can peel it off and with a little goo gone or alcohol, have a whole new background and it sticks closer than with tape so it is very vivid.

I agree, I think you are better off with removeable backgrounds. Speaking for myself, I have put on some backgrounds that I really liked then after awhile I just have to get it off.

Painting would be permanent! I am just sure I would want to change my mind, and then

it would drive me nuts!!!

Edited by Jeana727

I too think it is too permanent. I like being able to change if I wanted too. Right now I don't have a back, but I like the fact of knowing I can change it at any time.

Is it because you don't want "ripples or wrinkles" in the background?

Tis the season of plentiful wrapping paper! Why dont you try some of that metalic wrap for an interesting effect. They even have some really neat textured metalic stuff out there. With a little mineral oil, and those textures, it might make for one really neat backround. I think I am going to go that route myself. I cant decide between blue or green tho.... Donno yet. Mabey I will buy both to try on for size. :P

The tempera paints that children use for finger paints and such in elementary schools as well as the window paints that are used for sign painting in businesses are great ones for use on glass. I would not paint on an acrylic tank.

Then you tire of the painted background, a razor blade easily removes the paint. Do not paint too close to the edges, for the flow under the edges of the tank is impossible to remove in the future.

I would avoid using anything that sprays near an occupied fishtank. Paint with a brush.

My mom paints on glass and tiles a lot. If you go to a craft store and ask them about a good glass paint that is semi prmanent, I am sure you can get the answers you are looking for. Many paints out now will stay while you want it and with a razer or such, remove it as well.

If you really want to paint it - and do get some paint - I suggest testing how permanent if will be on an old mirror. Also a great way to test your painting skills if you will be going for a design before doing it on the real thing. Just a tip. :)

I would just think it would be eaiser to tape a background to the back of the tank

Edited by GoldfishGoddess

Yesterday bought a background for my goldfish tank, tall types of cliff like rocks and plants. Put it on with spray adhesive and it looks great. I don't think I would have the time or patience to paint the tanks. Will be deciding what color for my 45 gallon that will be an angelfish tank. I have blue background on my 30 gallon so not too sure if I want same color. Don't want black since angelfish can be darker in color unless all white. So might just go with the blue.

Goldies should show up real good against blue!! Pics soon! :exactly