Compatability?

TangerineSpedo

well i've decided for my x-mas present i am going to buy a new tank.. and a vote from family and friends said i should mix it up and get a tropical tank.. i kind of like those blood parrot fish... i researched a little bit but but i heard equal good and bad.. any other ideas guys?? i havent had a tropical tank for many years.. so what do you guys think?

Blood parrots are cichlids and do get big (about 6-8" I believe) so make sure you have a big enough tank. I'd say about a 50 gallon for a couple of them. Also a lot of times theyre dyed fake colors so keep an eye out for that. I personally am not into the fake colored fish so I dont buy them. Anyway you can give them a variety of foods including frozen foods and small cichlid pellets.

What other kinds of fish do you like? Do you like tetras? I think a nice sized tank with schools of tetras in it always looks nice. Angels are also really pretty, if you liek those. They prefer taller tanks and need about 10-20 gallons apiece because they also get large. Gouramies also are really pretty and not too aggressive. Have you ever seen the different types of rainbow fish? I think theyre so beautiful. As they mature they really brighten up. If youre looking for interesting colors African cichlids are really pretty. Again they will get big (for the most part around 6") and you could keep a nice little group in about a 50 gallon tank. They like lots of rocks to hide in and a higher pH than most fish.

I guess all the suggestions really depend on what size tank you want to get. ;) Hope this helps a little though!

hey thanks you too, yea Luke Anderson i read they are hybrids :( , but i thought i would give them a nice home and some special attention :) ... and jsrtist thank you so much!! that really helped.. i was really looking into a 50 gal..hopefully.. they have sure vibrant orange and red colors and they seemed like fairly pleasent fish..(and arent the dyed ones called jelly bean or something?) and i was looking into tertas since there are so many different kinds... maybe an angel, do you know anything about kuhli loaches?? those were quite interesting to look at... and i think i read somewhere about combatability but i cant remember.. have to look it up! lol... thanks so much guys!

Right, I forgot to mention theyre hybrids. It is sad how they cant open their mouths very well. Even so I would warn you agianst putting anything small like tetras in there. They are cichlids after all and will try to eat anything smaller than them! You could try some larger barbs in there, maybe, and that should work.

Kuhli loaches are really cool fish. They are shy bottom feeders and as long as theyre not small enough to fit in the parrot's mouth they should be fine. Provide plenty of hiding places for them. My friend got some for his tank awhile back and said they hid for awhile but are now comfortable swimming around in the open in his tank. Get at least three of them, preferably more, and you should see them a lot more often. Also they are bottom feeders and love live or frozen worms.

Archived