White Black Moore

mailboxck

Got a black moore a couple of months ago. He was all black when i got him, then around a week later, we lost a bit of black and turned a bit of a dull brown...then a month after, he's all white! What happened? Will he turn black again?

• Admin

Nope most likely this fish was living in a pond out side. Got lots of light and was feed algea foods. 90% of the time this happens it normal and there isnt much you can do :D

Guest nzcomet

My black moor is starting to look more like a brown moor now too. It is summer over here and I wondered if he thought he would be nice to get a tan for the Christmas break! :D

Ah yes the infamous black color fading. WE all at one point I think realized this the hard way............having a fish turn colors on us.

I think the white moor sounds pretty, would love to see a pic.

:blink: I think that for the first time in my life,I have a Moor that seems to be looking a little to "Orange" in places around his lower body. :rolleyes: I have a strange feeling that I'm going to end up with a complete Orange Telescope Moor! :krazy: Why couldn't mine be changing to white!!!! hahahahahaha

I have a Moor that seems to be looking a little to "Orange" in places around his lower body.

Mine is doing that very thing. I was going to post about it when I found this thread. It's pretty though.

I would like to see pictures of your white moor as well.

HAHA guess I should not become toooo partial to my three black guys then! I didn't know the moores were hard to keep black. Ive heard of other types of goldfish being difficult, but never about the moores. I guess its only common sense. :P

Say what? :yikes:yikes I've never kept moors before and I didn't know this could happen. I have three really nice black ones right now - how do I keep 'em black? I know that if you keep a goldfish in the dark for days it will turn white but the opposite now? Too much light makes a black moor turn white? Should I stop giving my moors algae waffles? Does that count as algae food :blink:

aw...i wanna see a picture! that's very interesting he turned completely white.....i bet a white telescope would be adorable!

my black moore originally had an orange patch on the bottom, now he's all silver with a patch of orange on his tummy and a chocolate midsection into a velvety black top :D such a weird cutie!

Amy you're so paranoid!!! I love it :D

Anyways, there really is not much you guys can do to keep your fish from changing colors, because it is more than likely in their genetic code. Lighting is supposed to have a slight effect, but you shouldn't keep your fish in the dark or blind them with light for fear of losing their colors. Spirunila tends to bring out the oranges in goldfish, so you *can* cut out this healthy treat from a diet, but other foods are fine. Pandas have the most unstable colors of all. If you want to buy a panda that has a higher chance of staying panda, select one with the most black, the oldest one, the one with no orange patches or tints etc. Same with black moors. Select a black more with a deep velvety appearance that is not metallic looking and doesn't have a very copper/orange/silver belly. Pick goldfish with cute faces and personalities as opposed to colors or markings so you'll know you will love them no matter how they change. If you really do not want your goldfish to change colors, your best bet is to buy a solid orange fishy :P

Thanks for the info Kissy. My hero :heart as always :D

I love how their "blackness" enriches the tank. When I walk by and see a moving black object I can't help but stare but you are 100% right, personality should come front and foremost.

Um..about your tetra signature. I could have SWORN I saw it flipping about in another thread you replied to but for this thread it's just sitting there flicking its tail. Is that another signature or am I losing my mind. LOL.

buahaha I love confusing people ^_^

The original skitzo swimming neon is Shawna's. I commented on hers last night and she sent me this one as a surprise :)

I love those moors too. My first goldfish was a moor and that is what got me hooked. Their texture looks so soft, and who couldn't love those googly eyes? Sadly, that was over a year ago and I haven't had luck with ANY goldfish :( One day tho, I will have a huge, black, velvety addition ;) They are definately my favorite fish.

hmm...my blackie has been in a solid blue tank/bowl (don't worry, it was 9 gallons) for 1 month since he had to be quarantined. he's back in the communal tank, and since the tank wasn't exposed to any sunlight...

his tummy is now more silver and has spread a bit, his sides have more orange/chocolate tint to them and the top isn't as velvety black anymore. he definitely has MUCH more pronounced chocolate to his sides. this just after 1 month. and the orange patch on his tummy has become more orange :D

i'm kinda sad to see the black fading away, but the color change just makes him so much more amusing

edit: oddly, the color change hasn't affected the fins, so his front fins are still quite dark. really stands out against his chocolate orange body :rofl

buahaha I love confusing people ^_^

The original skitzo swimming neon is Shawna's. I commented on hers last night and she sent me this one as a surprise :)

I love those moors too. My first goldfish was a moor and that is what got me hooked. Their texture looks so soft, and who couldn't love those googly eyes? Sadly, that was over a year ago and I haven't had luck with ANY goldfish :( One day tho, I will have a huge, black, velvety addition ;) They are definately my favorite fish.

444832[/snapback]

LOL. So I didn't lose my mind :lol:

Archived