What Is This In My Tank?

fantailfan1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday I added methylene blue to the fry tank. It is supposed to help with nitrite toxicity and chilo. I took them out of there tank, did a 100% water change, cleaned their tank, added an airstone and a sponge filter.

They look good today. There are a couple of fry that are quite small and weak looking. I don't know how much longer they will make it. But several of them are getting quite big and look real good. Hopefully some will pull thru all of this!! :heart

So I guess considering the chilo they've been dealing with since they hatched and then the bad water, they are doing well. Time will tell . . . .

Still doing quite well!

Today will be Day #5 of methylene blue. Since I started with it, only 1 fry has died. One of them is soooooo big (I posted pics in the Photo section.) There are 3 more that are pretty good size and then the rest of them are still pretty small. I ahve 15 total to date.

I will continue the MB for a total of 7 days and then give them a break. Then I'll scope again and see if there is still chilo present. I'm not sure but as far as I can tell, MB is more of a preventative for chilo than a cure. So I'll probably ahve to salt them to really get rid of it. But hopefully it reduced the chilo load in the tank and helped with the nitrites. I'm sure it helped in some way as before I started with it I had 5-6 deaths over a few days and only 1 since then. :D

Well I have lost 3 more fry since yesterday. :( All 3 were among those that were small and weak so I can't say as I'm terribly surprised. So now I have 12 fry left, 3 or 4 of which look real good. We'll see how it goes . . . .

I'm anxious to get done with the MB as the water is soooooo blue it's hard to see them in the tank! Tomorrow will be the last time I add the MB then will continue with 33% water changes to get rid of the MB. Wish me and my fry luck! :heart

OH and one question: I still have the fake plant floating at the top that I found the eggs on. (I've cleaned it a couple of times.) Should I leave it in there? Could I put some other little plant in there that stays on the bottom?

Edited by fantailfan1

It's fake. I haven't ventured into live plants as I've had all I can handle dealing with parasites the past 2+ months . . . .

Which type of fake plant would be better for them--the kind that sit on the bottom or the kind that float? I've seen both . . .

A real broad leaf plant or fake? I'm not ready to get into another aspect of GF care. I've got 3 tanks with chilo and another tank I'm cycling . . . . I'm spending a couple hours a day working on tanks. Don't really ahve time to look into plants and plant care. :huh:

A fry update:

I'm down to just 5 fry now. I lost 6 of them about 3-4 days ago and one more today. :cry1 Of the 5 remaining, 1 looks real good, 2 look pretty good, 1 looks fair, and 1 is not looking good. We'll see . . .

It's kinda weird how I lose several in one day and then none for a few days. I've been checking water params and doing regular water changes. My guess is the chilo is just too much for them.

I went 6 days with the methylene blue. I'm going to scope again tomorrow but I'm pretty certain I will find chilo still as MB is not a cure for chilo but is supposed to prevent infection. Wish I would've known about it when my fry were still jsut eggs . . . .

It's been about 4 days without MB and today I salted the tank to 0.1%. I will leave it there for a few days and then consider raising it. It seems no one is real sure about fry and the use of salt (at least what % salt is safe to use with fry) so I'm kinda on my own. I would like to try to get it to 0.3% and see what that does to the chilo.

That's all for now. Wish me luck on beating this chilo and hopefully raising at least one of these lil guys into an "adult" fish. *crosses fingers*

And if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to increase their chance of survival--do tell!! :D

Oh and if anyone has any pics of 4 week old fry (or there abouts) could you please post them if you can? One of my fry is just huge compared to the others. I'm wondering if he is big for his age or if the others are just not thriving? (I posted pics of him in the Photos section from about 1 1/2 weeks ago. You can see other fish in the pic with him for size comparison if that helps.)

Edited by fantailfan1

• Admin

Im sorry Im not much help with this and the Chilo problem, But if this helps I started out with 10 of them and only have 1 left from that batch :(

Thats why they lay so many out hun :(

but heres a photo of Konig at 4 weeks old :D

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...pe=post&id=7924

Thanks for the pic. It kinda confirms what I was thinking. My "huge" fry isn't really huge. He's average size and the rest are really really small for their age. Well let's hope the big one makes it and maybe even a couple of the others.

• Admin

Well thats Konig, I feed him 4 times a day 1/3 of his size....I do water changed after he was a month old every 3 days for him......

But as we know I took water from my main tank and we have a problem for you, I would see what the water chem that you can use for water changes is and lest see what we can do....

whats the gal size of this tank?

It's a 6 gallon Eclipse, half full. (It's actually the tank I ahd his father in til I found this site in July!!)

Once I discovered my poor water quality I did water changes with dechlor tap water a couple times a day til the params were at least reasonable if not perfect.

Then once the ammonia and nitrites were down to 0, I added the sponge filter and airstone and started treating them with methylene blue whcih is supposed to help with fungus, nitrite toxicity and parasites.

I used MB for 6 days doing daily 33% water changes. It was hard to get good test results since the water was soooooo blue.

I tested their water today and ammonia and nitrites were both 0, nitrates about 5.

My tap water tests ammonia, nitrates and nitrites 0. It is disinfected with chlorine only, not chloramines per the city water dept.

I feed them 3 times a day on the days I work (which is only 2 days a week) and 4 times a day the rest of the week.

Sorry I haven't posted here for a while but I've been sooooo busy dealing with those parasites (mom and dad fish) and getting a new tank set up for mom and dad (which I contaminated with chilo! :ignore ).

So I'm treating mom and dad fish with 0.8% salt with 100% daily water changes. Cycling their new tank and salting that to 0.8% to kill the chilo in there. Then I've got the fry to take care of.

I now have 4 fry left. The one very sick looking one with the bent spine passed away about 3 days ago. :(

I ahve the one big fry and 3 small ones that don't really seem to be growing. I've scoped the tank 2 times in the last week and have not found any chilo. I don't know if I'm missing it or if it's really not there. I can't think of any other reason for them not to grow.

I test the water daily and do water changes accordingly. I feed 3-4 times per day. Not sure what else I can do but I sure hope I can save them!! :heart

No, I think you're doing good! I don't know anything of that disease though and what it does, but I don't think fry grows rapidly, but if you compare old pics you see that they have grown!

Maybe one of the expert will read this.

Good luck and post pics again!

Chilo is a parasite that I believe my ryukin brought with her from the pet store. I hadn't yet found Koko's and the LPS told me I could just dump her into the main tank.

Anyway, I've looked at pics from a couple weeks ago and they don't look any bigger. :( I'll just keep plugging away and hope they survive. :)