What Is This In My Tank?

fantailfan1

Well I found 2 more dead fry today. :cry1 That brings the total dead fry to 4. I have around 18-20 fry still alive. :heart

I also have my 20 gallon cycling so I'll have some non-parasitic water to do water changes with them. I'm on day 3 of the cycle (using BioSpira) and my ammonia is reading about 3, nitrite is 2+, and nitrate is 5-10. With any luck, the tank will get fully cycled by the time I need to do a waterchange (about another 1 1/2 weeks).

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They seem to be doing well. All alive and swimming!! The water is a bit stinky--but then again so is my main tank. Kinda has that river smell.

There is a bit of debris on the bottom. I used some airline tube and cleaned a little bit of it out but I didn't want to do it for too long cuz I don't have any water to use for water changes yet.

I tested the 20 gallon that's cycling and today my readings were:

Ammonia: 1-2

Nitrite: 2

Nitrate 5-10

We're getting there. Both ammonia and nitrite are down from yesterday.

Sorry for the double post but my hubby just sent me some pics of my fry. They are about 11 or 12 days old. The pics are kinda blurry but it's hard to focus on them still.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/grgt...gs/PC282865.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/grgt...gs/PC282862.jpg

:heart

I have 2 more dead fry today. :cry1 There are a couple more who aren't looking so good. :(

Getting closer on the tank being cycled. Today the readings are:

Ammonia: 0 :)

Nitrite: 2

Nitrate: 5-10

So we're getting there. It's so sad to see the fry die. Hope they can hang in there for me!

I had 15 as most, but I had at least 15 before that I killed because of bad water. :( But there were hundreds of fry in the pond, I just couldn't catch them all.

It was ammonia, I understood that too late, I tested nitrites and nitrates only, but when they started to die I felt a strange smell from the water. I collected the last fry and put them in a fry cage in the main tank, and then I found some more fry in the pond!

Well because of Annette I tested my water and the results were not good. My ammonia was 0.5-1. Nitrites were about 2 and nitrates were over 40. Since then I've lost 4 more fry. :cry1:cry1

And since I currently don't have a cycled tank, I need to wait til tonight to change any water out. I feel sooooo bad for the little guys. I hope some of them can hang in there til I can change some water . . . .

I'm sorry if I scared you. I didn't have cycled water either because my fish had been out in the pond. But I took mommyfish inside, because she was constantly chased by the males, and she cycled the tank, and it was about half ready when my fry started to die and I put them in the fry cage. I though that water was better than the ammoniafilled, and it was, fry survived. When mommys tank was cycled, I used her water to fill the fry tank. A couple of months ago I moved the 7 frys to a bigger tank, and I used the parents water this time too. And later I bought a better filter, but I still take water from parents tank.

Oh no, Annette, YOU didn't scare me!! My test results did! You just gave me the idea to check my water. I am cycling a tank to use for their water changes. I ahve yet to test the water this morning. (Will do that in a second.) Yesterday my ammonia was 0 but my nitrites were still very high--in the 2 range. But my nitrates were only 5-10. Koko said to leave some water out overnight and do a waterchange after 24 hours. Now it's the waiting game . . . .

If it weren't for you, Annette, I might be sitting here wondering why all my fry were dying and not have any water sitting out for a water change later this evening! So thanks for the idea! :)