What Is This In My Tank?

fantailfan1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a difference a day makes!! Today my lil babies are swimming all over!! :krazy: They are noticibly bigger than they were when they hatched. You can still see the 2 eyes and spine and now there is something about midway down along the spine, like a little circle--some kind of organ I would assume.

Oh and my stupid heater wasn't working!! :( I got up this morning and the tank was only like 70. So I bundled up the kids and we went and got a new heater that is working great--nice and toasty in there.

I am going to try and get some pics. :heart I simply cannot believe how fun and exciting this is! :heart Someone from my sister's work wants one. I told my sister I will only give them to people with tanks. The girl said her mom has a 35 gallon and she once ahd a gf that was almost a foot long (I don't remember how old).

Oh forgot to ask: should I get a little plant to put in there? I took apart the plant that the eggs were on and that is floating at the top. Should I take those out?

Edited by fantailfan1

After watching them yesterday, I thought I'd better leave that plant in there. They swim up to it and in between the "leaves". And like you said, I'd never see them if they were on the leaves. I'll bet they would eat algae off there too--good point.

• Admin

Okay hun I would start feeding them hun so littlely now, since they are swimming around.....

I would turn on the light in the day time so they have some more light to eat with, dont move anything out of the tank hun.....Dont use a filter yet...

You want to feed them 2-4 times a day a very small amount...

Sorry I havent been around, got some issues :(

That is quite OK!! We've been doing well. :D (Sorry to hear about your issues, whatever they are. :( Hope things get better soon!)

I actually went ahead and fed them this morning. You can kinda see them eat. They will be 5 days old tomorrow and look quite a bit different than the pics you posted--maybe cuz they are different kinds of gf?

Anyway there are still several of them. I'm assuming if one passes away it will sink so I can see it on the bottom? Or maybe they float?

I will start iwth the tank light tomorrow. My BioSpira should arrive tomorrow so I can start cycling a tank of water for their water changes, instead of using the main tank (which is infested with chilo we decided).

Oh thank you!! Let me tell you I was probably within about 5 minutes of vacuuming out those eggs (with all my parasite issues I didn't really want anything else to deal with).

But then you (Koko) came along and encouraged me to give it a try and that you'd help me out. How could I possible turn that down?! :heart

And now I am having sooooo much fun with them. I jsut sit there staring at them. I only hope that the parasites don't affect them too much. They seem to be doing so well so far and once I get the 20 gallon cycled I can give them some clean/non-parasite water.

Thanks again!!

• Admin

Any time hun thats why I built this site to help others....Plus I is fun for me to to watch others frys doing so well....I just love watching mine grow :heart .....

Im here for you hun D:

I've found a few dead fry. :cry1 However, I still count around 20 swimming around!!

I turned the lights on today for the first time. The plant (it's about 10" tall) that the eggs were on is floating at the top as it was too tall to stand up in the 6 inches of water. So that blocks some of the light going into the tank--kinda like their own little cloud. I'm assuming it's ok to leave that in there as they like to nip at it.

How long should I leave the light on during the day?

Oh and one more question. I was reading in the breeding section on this website that fish need to be about 3 years old to breed. We've had Big D (formerly known as Dorothy--now called Big D for Big Daddy but my 4 year old who thinks Big D is the mama fish thinks the D stands for Dorothy still) for 3 1/2 years but we just got Shoomey (mama) in July. We ahd to get a bit bigger fish so that Big D wouldn't eat his tank mate but I guess I didn't realize she was that old. Can they breed before they are 3?

Well off to try some frozen brine shrimp now! :heart

Oh thought of something else: what's the best way to clean my hands before I feed them? Rinsing with water seems more safe as I wouldn't be transmitting any soapy residue but the water won't really kill any stuff on my hands. Is it better to use soap and rinse really really well?

Edited by fantailfan1

Just fed the baby brine shrimp. It was really neat watching them eat. I can actually see their little mouths open and grab the food.

They are really developing rapidly. Their eyes are getting a bit reflective. I can see their stomachs and the rest of their digestive tract. And they are growing tiny little double finned tails!! :heart

Yes I agree, they are sooooo lucky we ahve Koko guiding us thru this as I am totally clueless!! As of about 8 days ago I had not interest or desire to breed!!

Now, however, I am loving it!! The lil fishies are getting so big!! I can now see tiny little pectoral (I think) fins. Some of the fry are bigger than others. They are doing great considering their fishy grandma knows nothing about raising fry!! :heart

Yep, I've noticed both of those!! On a couple of them I can even see their heart beating :heart !! There are maybe 4 or 5 of them that are smaller than the others--those are the ones I can see the heart.

One question--I've noticed sometimes when they eat they spit out their food. They'll spit one piece out, go on to the next and eat it, then spit one, then eat a couple pieces. Is this normal or do they have parasites from the main tank?

I've got another tank cycling so hopefully that tank will cycled by the time we need to do the first water change. :krazy:

Whew that makes me feel much better. I'm a little freaked out about parasites right now. I guess treating your fish for the same thing over and over for 2+ months will do that to ya!!

I just can't believe how fast they are growing!! Amazing . . . .