What Is This In My Tank?

fantailfan1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you can do it just try it out and if u dont like it ship them to me i will pay the expense

444490[/snapback]

Oh what a nice offer--we'll see what happens!!

The eggs are still clear/white. I'll keep ya all posted. If these things hatch I'll need alot of help cuz I have no idea what I'm doing!! :heart

Yeah, but I only have room for about 6-7 grandchildren in the new tank!! :o

444443[/snapback]

It's very fashinating to rise fry, but difficult. My first try only one survived, the second time I have eight so far... :D

Well most of the eggs remain white and not fuzzy. Maybe 3 or 4 of them are clear with black dots. What are the chances of someone who doesn't know anything about breeding getting any of them to survive?

Koko--what do you mean only one is a good specimen?

• Admin

Okay the ones with the black dots are the good ones hun try to get the others out of there or they will infect the others....

Well out of my 10 frys only one is 100% good others died or like his brother has his mouth stuck open....

Oh dear!! I'm guessing my chances with mine are not so good them but I'll give it a try!

I got a heater so the water is warmer. I do not have a small enough air pump and could not find any sponge filters at the lps.

Am I OK without a filter til I see if I get any fry? How about an air pump--should I get a little one now or can I wait on that a couple days and see what happens with these eggs?

Excellent!! And I'm OK without an airstone? The heater directions said to have one to circulate the water and avoid it getting too hot in one spot. I've got them in a 6 gallon (eclipse but no hood/filter on it, of course). I didn't fill it all the way full and the water temp before I turned the heater on was about 73.

Oh and good news. :) I went to remove the white eggs, fuzzy or not, and found maybe 4-6 more clear ones with black dots and lines!! So that brings the total fertilized eggs to about maybe 10-12 instead of 3 or 4! :rockon

I will be absolutely esctatic if I get even one fish out of this!! *crosses fingers*

Another question and I didn't get back in time to edit:

I am treating for parasites. I was planning on doing a salt dip tonight to keep the parasite load down while I work on a diagnosis with my scope. Is it OK to dip fish that have just bred or should I give them a couple days to recouperate? I would still do a large water change tonight and maybe jsut dip them tomorrow night or Monday. However, if breeding doesn't affect their tolerance for dips I'll go ahead with it tonight.

What do ya think? :unsure:

FYI Neither fish looks unusually irritated this evening as they have on occasion while treating for parasites. My fantail (who I think is the male?) is doing a bit of bottom sitting. Both are still very excited to eat and look fairly decent--some flashing/yawning but not excessive like they have at some points during this treatment.

OH. MY. STARS.

There is something swimming!! in my breeding tank!! How is that possible? It's only been 24 hours. It looks like 2 black dots with a line coming off the back but other than that it's clear. What is going on?

• Supporter

I know nothing about breeding, but it sounds like you have a fry to me! I am so excited for you! I would fall over and die if my fish bred, and would be terrified! You are doing a great job.

I wonder if it is like in real life, where people who can't conceive try and try to death and then when they are about to adopt or they give up, that is when they get pregnant. So many people try and try to breed their goldfish and have no luck, and here you are, just minding your own business, trying to kill off some parasites and be a great fishkeeper, and WHAM you get eggs and what sounds like a fry!

Congrats, and you must keep us updated. Did you say you don't have a camera?

I have no idea on your little 'movment' there. Can you go0gle what is the time frame of laying eggs to hatching? I'm sure there's something on this site....

If you can hold off on the salt dips until we can determine what kind of parasite you have, I would. When was the last dip? Just from following your post I am not sure that the dips are really putting that big of a dent in your parasite population; small dent, but not huge.

But, it's up to you.

I wonder if it is like in real life, where people who can't conceive try and try to death and then when they are about to adopt or they give up, that is when they get pregnant.  So many people try and try to breed their goldfish and have no luck, and here you are, just minding your own business, trying to kill off some parasites and be a great fishkeeper, and WHAM you get eggs and what sounds like a fry!

Congrats, and you must keep us updated.  Did you say you don't have a camera?

444730[/snapback]

We do have a camera but these little things are sooooo tiny a camera wouldn't work. The 2 things that were swimming around (my daughter saw 2, I only saw 1) are now lying on the bottom. :( There is one more hanging from a plant.

And as far as being like real life--that is exactly why I thought I'd better give it a try!! I figured if it worked, great. If not at least I tried. And like I said what could be better than my 2 fav fish mating?!

I have no idea on your little 'movment' there.  Can you go0gle what is the time frame of laying eggs to hatching?  I'm sure there's something on this site....

If you can hold off on the salt dips until we can determine what kind of parasite you have, I would.  When was the last dip?  Just from following your post I am not sure that the dips are really putting that big of a dent in your parasite population; small dent, but not huge. 

But, it's up to you.

444733[/snapback]

I last dipped them 3-4 days ago. I've been dipping every 2-3 days. Paul recommended an occasional dip just to decrease their parasite load. I can wait on the dip. Sorry I ahven't gotten back to you with some pics but I've been a little distracted. I'll see if I can't get some pics tonight (of the creepy crawlys in my big tank).

Oh and I think I read it would take 3-5 days for the eggs to hatch so I dont' know what's going on?!

• Admin

Okay Hold on to your panty hoses hun....

First dont dip your breeding pair give them a day or two of rest....they could be very stressed right now....

Second fry on there first 2 days dont move much they hatch then then will stick to the floor sides of the tank walls. DO NOT DO NOT turn on the filter or feed them until I give you the go a head you could kill them. Also DO NOT do a water change hun. AT this point they are very fraggle and can die so easily, second keep the light off right now they cant stand the light.

OK no dips, I promise!! ;)

I have probably 5 or 6 on the bottom now. I can see 2 hanging from the plants. And there are maybe 4 still on the rocks, curled up. And maybe they weren't officially swimming, but they were moving. :unsure:

I actually don't have the hood/light on the tank. It's jsut open with the heater coming out the back. There isn't a filter within 15 feet of the tank! Should I put the hood on just so the tank is covered or is it OK to leave it off?

I will not feed them either as anything I have for fish to eat is bigger than they are--except for maybe daphnia but I certainly won't give them ANYTHING without your OK.

And my big fish should be stressed--parasites and now this?! They must be exhausted! And the water change I was talking about was going to be in the big tank--I'm guessing I should hold off a couple days? The water was changed maybe 4 days ago (definitely less than a week). I've jsut been doing more frequent water changes since we've been battling parasites.

And, koko, thanks so much for all your help with this!! I really appreciate it!! :heart

Oh I just saw your pics. Those fry are way more developed than mine. I've got 2 black dots with a black line and the rest is clear.

Edited by fantailfan1

• Admin

Those fry are about 5 day old hun but wanted to show you the gist of what they look like hun...

I would keep a hood on the tank hun, this keeps other things out of it....

As for the main tank I would do a water change and clean the filter pads out, you will be amazed the gunk in the filter after breeding, I think you might have to replaces the floss I did when Pharoh did that.

I will help guid the way hun, its fun but a lot of work, and dont be surprized when you loose some that comes with it......Also if you can find some Frozen baby Brime shrimp. also Hiraki First bites this is the best stuff if you can find them :D