fantailfan1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AAAAGGHHHHH!!! :o

That's what I was afraid people would tell me. So I've had my fantail "Dorothy" for over 3 years and have never had eggs. I added a ryukin "Shoomey" in July.

Now a few questions:

When a female lays eggs, are they already fertilized?

Since I've had Dorothy for 3 years and no eggs have been laid, is Dorothy most likely a "Donald" and my ryukin laid the eggs? Or would a female not lay eggs without the presence of a male?

I know these are silly questions but I know absolutely nothing about breeding. (Obviously.)

I guess those parasites I've been treating them for for over 2 months can't be bothering them too much. ;)

If they are eggs, what should I do? I don't really think I want any babies. Of course, I don't want to kill them either. But I'm still working on treating my fish for parasites and don't want a tank full of baby fish and parasites.

Help!! :krazy:

• Admin

they look like small specks of sand, If the eggs look clear you could set up a small tank for them and take the eggs out, but dont try to detach them take the whole thing out there on.

KEep the new tank warm around 78F you should see new fry in about 3-5 days, dont run a filter on them cause they cant swim, also dont feed them till they are about 4-5 days old and swimming freely....

Of course if you are really not wanting babies or have room, you can vacuum them out. This is what I did a couple years back. Of course now I wish I hadn't for I have been wanting babies from my Smudge and Jester............ah well maybe they'll do it again sometime. Koko waited forever for her little ones she has now.

Either way, keep us posted.

How do I know if they have been fertilized? I was reading another thread and it said white and fuzzy = unfertilized, clear with black spots = fertilized.

Mine are clear/white. Not fuzzy, no black spots. I noticed them about 4-5 hours ago.

Part of me wants to try and raise them. The more I think about it--once I get my new tank set up I was planning on some new fish anyway. AND, what would be a better addition to my new tank than offspring of my 2 :heart fave :heart fish?!

The other part of me says "Your tank is infested with parasites. Anything you take out of there (the fake plant/river rocks the eggs are on) will also be infested. Fry are too fragile to survive parasites."

What do you think?

I've got an old 6 gallon that I'm not using and a 10 gallon, but I'm saving that to treat mom and pops :) once I figure out exactly what parasite is in my tank. (Just got my scope today.)

So let's say I want to try and save them. I don't ahve a heater and it's kinda late here. Could I take them out and get a heater in the morning, or will that be too late for them? Current tank temp (big tank with parents) is *gets up to check* oooo it's actually about 76-77. The fish don't seem to be eating them at all. Am I better off leaving them in there for the night or taking them out?

• Admin

My pharoh didnt have them on his gills but on his front fins he did :D

As for the tank you could place them in there as long as your house doestn get below the 68 mark for one nite. :D

I don't see anything unusual on their fins either. :huh:

Can i put them in the small tank tonight--just the eggs (on the plant/river rock)? Should I put tank water in there or temp matched tap water?

House should stay around 70. I don't like it cold at night. :)

Just looked in the tank--several of the eggs are fuzzy now. Many are white without fuzz and just a few are clear.

Do they only get fuzzy if they are unfertilized?

Edited by fantailfan1

• Admin

unfert are fuzzy that means mold....

What I would do if you want to keep them.

1. set up the other tank with no filter, water from that tank.

2. get a heater in the morning.

3. get as many eggs on the rocks and such as you can, take a soft cloth and wipe off the fuzzy eggs if the clear eggs are next to them cause you dont want them in that new tank.

Oh my Lordy, woman. You sure do have your hands full! I just found this post!

I am sorry...I don't know anything about breeding...except that my guys got their stars about 45 days ago: Robby on his gills and fins, and Johnny just the fins.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Well I jsut put as many eggs on rock/plant in a separate little tank with tank water. I put the tank in our little bathroom by our back door--it seems to be the warmest room in the house when the door is closed.

We'll see what they look like in the morning. :rolleyes:

:rofl

Like my life's not busy enough right now?! The holidays, getting my new tank and setting that up, sterilizing anything I'm going to be reusing in the new tank, cycling it, and not to mention treating my fish for parasites--first off I need to diagnose which parasite they have.

:nana Does this mean I could be a GRANDMA at age 34?!! :nana

So they don't have to stay totally clear to be fertilized? White may be OK as long as it's not fuzzy? :unsure: