Mini Whale

balashark

ok, my wife's friend said that her favorite kind of aquarium fish is a mini-whale. it looks just like a whale only really small, and was even labeled as such a pet store that is now out of business.

personally, i think my wife's friend is, um, mistaken. anyone ever heard of a trop that looks like a whale?

There is a fish thats referred to as a whale but the full name evades me - again-

It is actually a flesh devouring fish becoming im afraid popular in pet shops.

These fish live deep down in the amazon river where it is dark and live off dead fish. They enter the fish and literally tear it to pieces in minutes,bones and everything. They are sold as two inch tiddlers but they grow to over two feet long and are really best avoided.

Will try to find a pic for you.

wow. she said she never got any but they looked cute. i hope that's not what she was talking about. thanks for the info sandy. hope they don't become too popular, that could reak havoc in a community tank.

i did modify my search a little bit and found something called baby whales. it's an african fish not related to the mamals we call whales at all. http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/...baby_whales.htm maybe that's what she saw. personally i don't see the resemblence.

I was just coming back to say the more common one is what you have put above. i agree it looks nothing like a whale but i really hope it isnt the fish that lucy and myself think it is.

Still looking for a pic of it.

I saw the programme Lucy it was really good.

Yea those fish were nutts! they invade dead fish (or did they kill some too?) and these divers who found them lifted the dead fish out and they just clung on and carried on muching on it! worse than piranahs!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes...creatures.shtml

theres about the programme... but i cant find anything on those fish

Edit: oooooh sorry for all the posts but i just had a thought!!!

theres a fish, its a relative of the elephant nose fish, but without the nose and it looks just like a little sperm whale.. *trys to find it*

Found it! its actually called a 'baby whale fish' :D

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/gallery/misc/bovei.html

uuuh sorry, you already posted that fish.. it wont let me edit my post again!! for like the tenth time :D

sorreh :)

Edit: gawd ..the edit button is gonna wear out :D

anyway.. i think that baby whale fish looks a bit like a little sperm whale, i think thats probably what she saw, i hope!

Archived