Pics Of My 300g Reef

Reef Man

Amazing!!! :D Bravo, I can emagine that tank was your whole life for quite a while.... Does it kind of tank care of itself for now? (excluding the feedings, WC's, minerals and such)

howdy reef man~

i was wondering. did you build that refugium yourself or did you buy it? i'm looking into putting one together myself, and just wanted to know if it's basically a wet/dry filter but w/o the bioballs and has the sand for growing the microbacteria stuffs. haha. (yeah i don't know the technical terms) :D

Tinkokeshi - howdy reef man~

i was wondering. did you build that refugium yourself or did you buy it? i'm looking into putting one together myself, and just wanted to know if it's basically a wet/dry filter but w/o the bioballs and has the sand for growing the microbacteria stuffs. haha. (yeah i don't know the technical terms)

I had it built for me by my specs... It is similar to a wet/dry but modified to work as a fuge.... I would just make one or have one built...

I have a chamber that the overflows empty into generally over LR....but some people don't like to do that...I do....Then it goes from there into another chamber where I have a few pieces of LR and sand....there is where my Macro algae is kept with a light that I have on reverse timers from my main tank...helps keep the ph shift from being so drastic at night!!! One good advantage to Growing Macro algae it takes out the carbon Dioxide....Now from that chamber it flows into another chamber where my skimmer is....from there a filter pad is supported to keep the micro bubbles from going into the return pumps that carry the water back up to the main display...

I don't know if I can do this...and if I can't let me know...here is a link to a post that has pictures of my refugiums.... Let me know if I can't set a link like this....

http://www.aquatic-hobby.com/index.php?sho...t=0entry16870

Edited by Reef Man

hmm ok... i just woke up from a nap, so those pictures dont' make any sense to me right now haha... :D but i'm thinking you have the water overflowing into a chamber (#1) of LR is this live rock?, and then how does it get into the second chamber? is this where the water goes under a panel? or over a panel? i'm guessing over, or else it would wash the sand away or the sand would flow into #1... so #2 is where your sand, macro algae and some plants are, this this #2 chamber has a light with a timer on it so that it turns on at night when your tank lights turn off, is this to prevent photorespirtation from occuring througout your tank, and so that the sump plants "think" it's daytime? and then from there, i'm guessing it goes under an acrylic panel to the next chamber #3, and your protein skimmer (what do these do?) does it's thing, and then the water is returned to your tank.

haha have i got that right? :D and do you think it's worth it to try and put a refugeum together for a 72 gal. bowfront goldie tank? or should i just buy a fluval and a hanging powerfilter?

i went into the lfs today hoping to see a wet/dry filter in action, and they told me that wet/dry filters are "out of style" now, and told me about a refugeum. i remember seeing you mention it in here, and i came by to ask. the lfs people also told me for my 72, the minimum size sump should be at least 40 gal. :blink: thats' big... and about the size of another tank. haha. thanks for your help! :heart

ok i just looked closer at the pictures, and i see the slits that the water flows through... :lol:

Edited by Tinkokeshi

ok i just looked closer at the pictures, and i see the slits that the water flows through...? :
:exactly

A refugium on a fresh water tank....you would have it as a planted tank... You can't use a protein skimmer on a fresh water tank they won't work.....so you wouldn't have to worry about that....You can use a fuge on a fresh water tank...My guess is that the goldies won't let the plants alone in the main tank right???? SO the need for a fuge.... A 40 gal is large for a 72 gal bow from.... I think a good fuge would be one third your tank size...It should do fine.....

Edited by Reef Man

haha thanks... i actually haven't even set up the tank yet. i bought only the TANK portion on ebay, and i still have to either build or buy a stand. i'm thinking about going recctangular on the stand with a solid top. so far i've found the prices to be about $200 for a stand.

so since the tank is not set up, i don't have plants either... haha. :lol: i just liked the idea of having a sump to be able to do water testing and stuff in rather than doing out of the tank. i WAS planning on wet/dry, but will look into building a refugium now. i'm still debating on what kind of filtration to do. if i do build a refugium, would additional filtering be required such as a canister or HOB filter? thanks for your quick responses! haha i'm loving this! :D learning sooo much! :heart

For a fresh water set up you could go with a canister filter....like a fluval etc....that way you would get your mechanical filtration plus your biological filtration.... That will be a must !!! "Lets not call it a refugium on a fresh water system" but an eco-system..." Heavily planted sump....the "eco-system" will help keep the nitrates down and phosphates but will not serve as a efficient bio-filter...that is were the canister filter could work very well....even a penguin filter with bio-wheels would do the trick....but you will need to have one or depending on your bio-load both methods of bio filtration....The nice thing is your "eco-system" will help take out the nitrates that the bio-filters are poring into your system.....

Edited by Reef Man

haha... okay. i appreciate ALL your help reef man, and i have come to the conclusion that with my current budget, (which is ::edit:: NO :: money what-so-ever)... i will probably just settle for two emperor 400 filters, and plant my tank. this i'm guessing is probably my best bet for now.

i wanted the sump for aesthetic reasons (i don't like HOB filters) since i usually don't have a background. due to the cost of either building my own stand or buying one, plus filters, plus lighting (eventually).. i think i'll hafta hold off on the eco-system for now. <_<

maybe in a few years... when i have a job and am not a poor, jobless student... i'll upgrade. :lol:

thanks again for your help and explainations!!! :heart they helped lots!!

Edited by Tinkokeshi

WHOA!!! THE COLORS ARE DAZZLING MY EYEBALLS!!! :blink: preeettty.. haha i feel like when dory and marlin are deep deep in the ocean looking for the mask, and they see the light... and it makes them feel all good inside. haha. :D:heart

:D Hi Ron!!! Good to see you! I just put two and two together and only realized now that it was you! :rofl I think you went bigger since the last time I checked out your tanks,and I must say that it looks spectacular!!! Awesome ,awesome job you've done there! :exactly