Sign in to follow this  
Ruffledmumkin

Dyed Goldfish?

They do it to many, many kinds of fish including oscars, parrotfish, sharks and various tetras?basically anything they can find in white. The best thing to do is just not to buy them. Dont try to rescue them, just dont buy them. That sends more of a message than anything else!

I was lucky?when I worked at the store I would always tell people they were dyed. Some people were horrified, and some were just upset that they wouldnt keep the color permanently. Either way I tried to talk a lot of people out of buying them.

I'll never forget the day we got a shipment of "jellybean"pearlscales. One by one, within a few hours of their arrival, they all died. :cry1

So you have seen the ones like in the picture? Are they just really tiny pearl scales dyed. They looked really tiny in the picture. They look like they are actually the size of a jellybean. Those poor little things are so fragile already, and they have to go do that to them. :angry:

I dont see how people could think those colours are better than natural colours, they are all washed out and cheap looking

Stores round my way, well most of them, have signs saying they dont support it and dont sell dyed fish, theres some charity or something at the bottom of the poster, could have been practical fishkeeping or something sponsering it.

I dont see how people could think those colours are better than natural colours, they are all washed out and cheap looking

Yes I know. They look horrible. I saw some glass fish (I guess that's what they are called) at my LFS here and I asked the sales clerk why they have dyed fish. I told him its horrible and they shouldnt carry them (Im not afraid to speak my mind about this stuff obviously). He told me that they were fed dyed food and that is how they got their colors. He said its perfectly safe and he was pretty sure they werent injected or dipped. I think they were dipped. I havent heard of feeding food to produce that effect. Please correct me if Im wrong.

A lot of people think the food is dyed and thats what gives them their coloring. However, the dipping is much faster and more cost effective so i am pretty sure thats how its done.

THe pearlies we got in were a couple inches, not too tiny. They were basically just white pearlscales. Some had orange spots on them. I was really glad that was the only time we ever got them in. I let my manager know how I felt about them.

Doesn't the dyed food make their water change colors? Do they just use food coloring, or is it a special dye for fish? I wouldn't think it would be worth the time doing this, since so many of them don't make it.

Guest WoodenCoyote

That's horrible!

Anyway, the fish you want is not for sale. Its marked with *

Wooden, nobody wants these fish. We are just discussing how bad it is that people do this to them. Also we don't like that some stores sell them.

Guest WoodenCoyote
Wooden, nobody wants these fish.  We are just discussing how bad it is that people do this to them.  Also we don't like that some stores sell them.

442732[/snapback]

Ruffled, I'm not stupid. I'm just discussing how those fish aren't for sale. Also I don't like that some stores sell them.

That's horrible!

Anyway, the fish you want is not for sale. Its marked with *

442727[/snapback]

We know your not stupid. Its just when you said "the fish YOU want is not for sale" it sounded like you were implying that someone wanted to buy those fish.

Uh-oh. Sounds like a fight is gonna break out! :scared That wouldn't be good.

:angry: I dont like them....I dont see why some places harm fish for profits...its enought hat most places dont take the best care of goldies as it were

I agree your not stupid Wooden. I just though you were implying that someone here wanted one. Just a little misunderstanding.

I agree with you Taz. The poor little fish that even make it to someones home, have bee through a lot. The were dyed, shipped, crammed into little tanks with bad water, droped into a bad, and then put into another tank, that is probable not cycled. How they make it I don't know.

They are beautiful, but so cruel to get them that way. You know what I mean? Like, its sad that they are like that, but they are really pretty