Quick Question...

Guest starpetals27

Guest starpetals27

Hi everybody!

I haven't been around the boards for awhile, (life is crazy!! :krazy: ) And I just wanted to get some opinions on a friends' recently deceased fish. He had a very rotund 3 inch oranda, that had some minor swim issues at the petstore. He had it for about a month, when it began to have some severe problems swimming. Its belly was swollen almost grotesquely, and it prevented the poor fish from any type of sucessfull swimming.

It began to float at this point, all the while getting larger and larger around the middle. Finally, in one of the more traumatic fish death stories that I have ever heard, I guess it "exploded". I don't know the full details, but he brought me the dead fish that night to glance over. The scales had spilt down the middle, and hung around the fish like skin. Underneath, the belly was pearlish, with deep dark circles behind that tissue layer. Does anybody know what could have happened to this poor fish???

I am completly clueless, and figured I'd check and see what you guys thought. I dont have access to his tank parameters, as he has already cleaned out the tank. But it was a 10 gallon, and he kept it pretty clean. ( to the best of my knowledge)

Thanks so much for all your help!!!!

-Ellen-

Sounds like the fish got dropsy. Ask your friend if the scales started sticking out and the fish looked like a pine cone. I've had this happen a couple of times and it sounds like the fish had dropsy. Here's a pic of dropsy about 1/2 way before becoming fatal.

post-30-1134017680_thumb.jpg

Guest starpetals27

Thanks!

I showed him the picture, and he immediatly recognized it. That was indeed the cause of death. Thank you so much for your help! Poor fish, but atleast he will know to recognize it before it gets fatal next time. Thanks again!

-Ellen-