Should I Cull Him?

blinky000

my baby fish are on average 1 inch big and still havent got their colour :angry: but thats irrelevent, i had 2 of my babies the same size that had hardly grown at all and now one of them had a growth spurt over the past week or so. so now hes alone and im afraid he'll get eaten by his siblings. theyve all got plenty of room and i dont have another tank to put him in alone and hes kind of hovering around the surface of the water and not swimming too well.

please help me, im fretting so much!!! :(

hes not looking too good today, guys. :( he keeps feebley trying to swim to the food and then just floating. should i take him out and try and give him extra care or has his time come? :o:(

hes on deaths door right now. he just floats on the surface of the water and only moves if i blow him. i dont like to see him strugle so im going to give him a little shove towards the light (if you know what i mean). :cry

I know it's no fun to watch your babies suddenly lose their life. When mine were between 8 and 10 weeks old there were about half a dozen that just suddenly began to act exactly like you are describing. I found it to be really frustrating because there was no apparent or visible signs of anything wrong. Is that what happened with you? I read a piece on the net a few months back. It was something a goldfish breeder had wrote. He was saying that he found that while raising goldfish between the ages of 8 to 12 weeks some would mysteriously die with no apparent reason. I wonder if anyone else who has raised fry has experienced this. Anyhow, I feel for you and wish you the best with the rest of your babies. I did what you said you are going to do(give them a little push into the light). I couldn't stand to see them suffer either.

• 3 weeks later...

If something internal (say a heart) doesnt develope right, it doesnt show up at first. When the body grows faster than the organ, however, the organ cannot keep up and the fishie has a problem like you have described. This is also common with kittens.

ah right. thanks. poor kittens! :( good news though, i still have 1 left and shes doing well. shes in with my bubble eyes and oranda now and she doesnt stop growing! i will try and get a pic of her up soon. still hasnt got her colour yet though. another thing, her fins are getting increasingly black and i heard this was because of ammonia burns but my ammonia level is always 0 so could this be colour slowly showing cos it has been like that for about a month now? thanks again

Archived