Sign in to follow this  
cludence

Some Questions On Raising Fry

Hi, three weeks ago I found eggs in my fish tank. I moved what I thought to be approx 50 eggs over into a separate tank. Had water no higher than 6 inches, placed a mini sponge filter covered in a stocking to be safe in there, fed them on liqifry and am now onto baby brine shrimp and daphnia as well as some other powdered baby food. As the tank had not been cycled, i put some plants in there from parents tank and water as well as a small amount of gravel. I have been doing secondly daily water changes (no more than 10%) using part tap and part tank water from parents tank. Anyway, I had to move them into a bigger tank the other day as there was too many in such a small tank. As I moved them, I counted them as I was scooping them out with a cup. I have 300! Each week I am only losing about five on average, some of which were small and one that had only one eye. All that are left seem fine, some are bigger than others which makes me wonder, can they have two dads? The biggest is half an inch, others still look newborn size. There is three males in the tank where female is. The parents are commons/comets, one of which is a pearly white colour. I noticed last night a few of them have a bit of white colour on their backs, is this colour or fungal thing starting??

Also when should i notice whether some have bent backs? When can I raise the level of water?

Obviously I dont need 300 goldies but I want to make sure I am looking after them properly. I hate fish shops so there is no way i could send any there as it would just be a slow death. Unfortunately no one I know either has fish or looks after them properly so it looks like I am going to have to do the dreaded cull soon. I have clove oil as I cant face the thought of them being eaten by the bigger fish. - Would be scarey for them.

-Any info on the above questions would be gratefully recieved. If i can work out the pic thing, i will post some in a day or so. They are like little pacmen chomping their food.

Guest yabbie

There could easily be more than one father. But fry just grow at different rates. The smaller ones may have poorly formed fins or something else that is slowing them down. They probably won't make it.

Only shibunkins colour up early. Metallic colours won't show up for many months. They'll just be a khaki colour until then.

Five a week is an excellent mortality rate with so many fry. Start raising the water now, just a litre every couple of days.

As time goes by it will become more and more evident which fish need to be culled. I only culled those fish who could no longer swim, and every single abnormal fish I left to see how they'd go, eventually died or got eaten by its brothers and sisters, so save yourself the time and space and get rid of faulty fish early.

Sounds to me like you need to start convincing friends to put ponds in their back gardens or perhaps you can donate them to someone with a pond, eventually.

There is a site called petlink.com.au where you can sell some locally as pets if you find you have too many.

Thanks for the info. I know it may sound cruel but I would rather let them have a quick death with clove oil than sell them where they more than likely will suffer a slow death in the hands of someone who deosnt realise golfish need more than just a small bowl. Dont get me wrong, I am not going to have fun doing it. Originally I thought i had about 50 eggs which i had figured with deaths etc may have left me with a few to keep myself. I never counted for how many had been hiding in the plants!

Here is a link to my photobucket where I have some pics of them. There is one pic where their tails look curled but it is just them moving. The pic that has the three fish in it, the mum is the full orange at the back and the potential dads are the others. Karen. my baby pics

welcome to koko's!!!

nice goldfish and fry! :D they're so cute!

Oooh, welcome! I love fry! And you have so many!! I have 8 fry now, it's the most I ever had, in my first try only one survived!

It is amazing and fantastic to raise fry, to see them grow and develop!

They are very fascinating to watch. I have never had fry before and wasnt even trying but the weather changes here set them off. At first I though something was wrong with my tank before realising they were eggs! (had snails and ghost shrimp sneak in on plants so thought it was their doing) Still not sure when I am going to cull some. :( I dont want to do it too early and end up culling the better ones of the lot. Given I thought i only had 50 originally, i was happy to settle with two or three survivors, but given I have just under 300, i am worried. They have just stated growing their top fin and they look cute now. Look more like actual fish. Will kepp you posted.

Karen.

Yes do that! I guess I've had bad luck, I found lots of fry in the pond and brought them inside. They kept dieing on me. Then I brought the mother in and she cycled a tank. I used water from the tank and caught some more fry from the pond (yes there were hundreds!) and they seemed to do much better! I have culled some of them, if they lay on the bottom or on the surface and I found one very crooked. Some of them died by them selves. Now I have one fry who is very tiny, don't know if it will make it, but it looks good, swims and eats, I won't cull it. The mom is a shubunkin so three fry are pale with orange spots, like mom, and the other are just gold metallic!

Guest yabbie
Thanks for the info. I know it may sound cruel but I would rather let them have a quick death with clove oil than sell them where they more than likely will suffer a slow death in the hands of someone who deosnt realise golfish need more than just a small bowl.

439819[/snapback]

And the people who will come to buy them off you can't learn what you've learned? Even if you type up a care sheet to go with the fish? Wow! You must be the smartest, most caring person in Sydney! ;)

No doubt there prob would be people who would do the right thing but I used to be involved with rehoming cats and kittens and learnt the hard way when cats got dumped back on me. A lot of people have the right intentions in the beginning but then the novelty wears off or their circumstances change and what happens to the fish? There is no rspca/rescue for fish. I'd hate to thing one of my babies got flushed down the toilet or killed some other way. Of course if someone who lived near me wanted some and knew what they were doing I would let them take some but then again, I am pretty strict. A friend wanted some and told me she would give them back to me when they got too big. I dont need big commets/commons coming back or i may as well turn my pool into a pond now. I just know if they lay eggs again, I will let them eat them. The adults are in a big tank now but I am already working out whether to build a pond for them or go another size up in tanks as I dont want overcrowding. The thought makes my head ache!! LOL

Guest yabbie

You're probably right about 50% of the people and raising that many to a stable age is probably beyond the limits of your set up anyway.

But I'm thinking maybe 50% could suffer so the other 50% could live, live live! Viva la little fishy life! :D

IMHO of course.

Well at the moment i am holding off culling till i see which are the weaker ones etc. Kinder to let them go than struggle. I have also heard the bigger ones eat the smaller ones? If that is the case my numbers should drop down quite a great deal. Got some time to think about it anyway as they are not going anywhere in any great rush, way too little and I have enough space to split them into another tank or two to give them more than enough room. But no, I am not keeping hundreds thats for sure.