My Snail Is Hungry!

Guest JNic04

I just bought a snail to sort of keep my fish company since she is all alone. But there is no algea in my tank. I dont know how to feed it. Is there something that you can feed snails? I dont want it to starve to death. Oh, and I also noticed a teeny tiny baby snail in the cup I bought the other one in. It was stuck to a little plant so i just put the plant in with him on it. It was on the themometer last time I saw but now i cant find it. Do you think my fish might have ate it? :blink:

well, you need to feed your snail. Snails don't eat just algea anyway, even if you did have algea. Its better to feed your snail. They love those sinking algea tablets, sinking shrimp pellets and and also any leftover flake food if your goldie does not gobble it first. My snails come up to the top and I put a little piece of food in their mouth and they eat. Or if your fish gobbles all the food before the snail can get it, you can put a washed lettuce leave in the tank, with a veggie clip, and the snail will eat off of that. They love lettuce too. How tiny is your snail? If its really itty bitty, like the size of an eraser top , the fish could have eaten it. If its bigger than your fish's mouth it should not get eaten. Although your fish might still peck on its shell. Mine is golfball sized and I also have 2 nickel sized ones. But none smaller. They will eat live aquarium plants too.

oh, ok thank you! I didnt even know i had to feed the snail like that. Wow, im glad you told me. The baby snail was really really small, like the size of the head of a pin. The other one is about the size of a gumball (couldnt think of any other comparison). It has mostly just been munching on my plant. Well, I will look some more for the baby snail and get the big one a peice of lettuce. Thank you! :D

:D Snails eat other things not only algea this is how

my snail dead i didn't feed it after he was finished eating all

the algea I feed him vegetabels but not any kind

of course like i won't give a carrote to my snail lol

My apple snail is up at the top of the water level at least once a day in the search for food. I always give him a couple of the goldfish pellets or a pea. He seems to love them. Otherwise he is on the bottom eating fish poo, algae, or whatever else he can find in the gravel. All of my smooth river rocks that have algae on them are covered in round "mouth prints" from the snail. The patterns look kinda cool. He does a pretty good job cleaning the tank because when I do my weekly gravel vacuuming, it always surprises me on how little comes out of the gravel. They do have voracious appetites.

If you have had the snail in the tank for some time already, the fish are probably used to him and will continue to leave him alone. If your snail is small enough to fit in the goldfish's mouths then you might have something to worry about. Otherwise your snail is probably safe from being harmed or eaten.

Archived