Filter Question

Carole

My filter is a Topfin 20 power filter that came with my 20 gal tank as a package deal and the filter has started acting funny. The water that comes out of the filter has slowed over time from a healthy flow to an annoying trickle. When I take out the filter media the flow picks up a little but is still not the same as when it was brand new.

Why does anyone know why this is? I thought maybe it was off balance; adjusting it a little used to help but not anymore. I rinse off the filter gunk and it helps a little but not a whole lot. Could the motor be slowly dieing on me? It is only four months old. My water quality has not suffered so it seems to not be a huge issue, but does anyone have an idea for how to fix it? Or did I just end up with a filter with a short lifespan?

Thanks!

Have you tried taking out the intake tube and the impeller and taking the it apart?Try cleaning inside of the intake tube and clean all the gunk of the impeller.Look for someting that might be wrapped around the impeller.

Try taking the filter apart (according to manufacture instructions) and clean all the parts. One time that happened to me and it turned out that a spider died in the motor - pretty nasty stuff. If you wash it and put it together and it's still trickling, you might want to try plugging it into another power outlet. If that still doesn't work - it's time for a new filter. Hope it doesn't come to that though :blink:

Archived