Popeye

kila

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0ppm

Nitrite Level? 0ppm

Nitrate level? 20ppm

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? PH: 8, 14?dKH

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.4

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gallons (UK) running for 2 months.

What is the name and size of the filter/s? 2 Filters, one small BluCompact 01 with one sponge filter inside and one large canister filter with mixed medium inside (sponge, floss, ceramics)

How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 40%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 Fancy goldfish, about 1.5 inches each. 1 Apple snail.

What kind of water additives or conditioners? ?Sera?, water conditioner.

Any medications added to the tank? No

Add any new fish to the tank? No

What do you feed your fish? Flakes, sinking pellets, blood worm pellets, sometimes peas.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White rim around one eye

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc..? Aggressive behaviour.

More problems! I just noticed tonight that my little fantail has a white swollen rim around one eye. I looked at the photos on the "disease" page and it's exactly like the photo labelled "Popeye". What can I do to cure him? Would a salt dip be of benefit? I read the advice in the "Treatment" page but I cannot get those medicines here (Italy). It's 10:30pm here so it will be tomorrow before I can get to a pet shop. What should I ask for...antibiotic, anti bacterial medicines? The Moor seems fine but if it's contagious it won't be long before he's infected. I have no quarantine tank to put the fantail in. It seems to me that since I started feeding bloodworm pellets that problems have begun. Can this food carry parasites and bacteria than could infect the fish? I have stopped feeding it for over a week now anyway and don't think I'll feed it again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kila,

Surprised no one has gotton back to you sooner on this. Popeye as a rule generally tends to be both eye's, so the chance is its a mechanical injury rather then actual popeye.

I'd monitor it for a few day's and see if the swelling continues, gets larger or if it goes down. If it continues to swelland/or gets worse, then go to a antibiotic, preferably medicated food as well if possible.

Salting the water to 0.1% (1 tsp per gl) may also benefit as well, but be careful not to use any medication that has a formalin base to it with salt.

Thanks so much for your reply. I was so worried. It's the next morning now and he looks a tiny bit better, it's a bit hard to tell but it seems to have gone down a tiny teeny bit.

I won't do anything for a few days and monitor him carefully. I won't salt the water as I have a snail in there but if they need it I will either take him out or give them a salt dip.

Thanks for asking Laurie. Thankfully his eye went down fully and he's back to his bullying little self! It must have been a little injury and not popeye. Phew.

Archived