Sick, But Acts Healthy

iloverustl

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 40

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? approx. 7.2

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 5 gall...around 3 months or a little longer (i know it's too small)

What is the name and size of the filter/s? aqua-tech 5 gall

How often do you change the water and how much? 60% every other day now

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 1inch goldfish, and one pleco

What kind of water additives or conditioners? just hartz all-in-one dechlorinator

Any medications added to the tank? not at the moment

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? flakes

After I had a black moore die the other day, all of the sudden this fish has one cloudy eye, and his fins are frayed a little, bent on one side, and the tail appears to be shredding in one spot. He's acting completely healthy and still eating. What can I do to cure this other than water changes? Also, the other goldfish's tail appears to be fraying a tad as well.

I cleaned the tank REALLY good the day before yesterday when it started. I'll clean it today, too, but I have to work until 8pm, so I can't do it until then.

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

A couple things that concern me are how small the tank is. Gf need 10 gal of water each. (the pleco too). They produce alot of waste that builds up like toxins and makes them ill and can kill them.

So my first recommendation is to upgrade the tank.

Second is the high nitrates, this can make them sick as well. So doing water changes to lower it will help tremendously.

My last thought is when you say you just gave it a "good" cleaning what exactly did you do? Hopefully we can help you get this all under control.