Perfectly Clean Water?

Carole

I have had my fish tank set up for 4 months, I went through the whole cycling process, and now I have no signs of nitrates, nitrites, or ammonia. The only time I saw nitrates was at the very end of my cycling and since then there has been zero of everything! Is this common to have such a good system? Maybe my plants and brown algae are just doing a fantastic job? My fish are healthy and eat and poop like crazy, and I change about 50% of the water every two weeks. Could my tests be dead? I am using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Test Kits and they are about 5 month old.

I am really not complaining, but is this normal?

Guest RaceFaceR1

That's alot of Water Changes... Do you actualy do 50% every 2 weeks?? How big is your tank and amout of fish?

I do like a 25% every month...

My tank is 20gal with two small fantails. I have been worried that I haven't been changing the water enough. I read about how frequent water changes not only keep up with water quality but remove the hormones from the water that inhibit growth. I want my fish to grow up to be big and strong.

Hi Carole, I think I can help you with the test kit expiration dates.. I JUST went through this question myself! We also use the Aq Pharm. Master Test Kit, and we were getting odd levels, so I emailed the company and they replied with this information concerning the expiration dates of their kits:

Look at the last 4 digits on the bottom of the BOTTLES themselves. These are the month and year of manufacture (1105 =Nov 2005, etc).

The Ammonia, Ph, Nitrate Kits expire in 3yrs.

The Nitrite expire in 4 yrs.

So, add this number to your year digit and you will know if your kit/individual test is good or not.. ours ended up being expired as of last month of course!

We bought a brand new one, but oddly, Aq Pharm did not include the KH and GH test as it did in the previous one we bought about a year ago. I have to write and ask why?

I hope this eases your mind.. at least you'll know you are using accurate test kits, right?!

good luck to you.

Lynn hc220@aol.com :yeah:

Archived