Sign in to follow this  
Black Moorio

Frenchie Is All Alone Now

Well a large sickness of infection took all of Frenchie's tank mates. I'll post some pictures of them all after the stuff I type.

But Frenchie has never been alone, and I know she is just a fish and all, but this fish has so much personality and shows so much affection, eventually, do you think it would be okay to give her a tank mate?

I think I'm going to, and if you say 2 goldies for 10 gallons is too many, well there used to be 4 goldies and a cory. But now Frenchie is the only one left. Oh dear...sad day. Frenchie lived through it all, I'm paying extra attention to her. Emotionally, will she be okay for a bit?

Jet

IMG_2248.jpg

Mist

IMG_5118.jpg

Precious

IMG_2075.jpg

Frenchie

IMG_3413.jpg

Frenchie and Precious-They were always friends

IMG_2270.jpg

:( Moorio,I'm sorry that you lost your fish and that Frenchie's all alone.I can understand you thinking he needs a buddy,but if I were you,I'd wait for a while. Overstocking your tank may have contributed to the illness & death of your loved ones,and are you positive that Frenchie's in perfect health after just losing 3 other fish?Frenchie will be okay alone for a while.If I recall,you don't have a test kit for Water Params,so maybe work on getting one of those right now,and getting your tank back in order.It's never good to overstock,but sometimes people can get away with it,if their tank is right,meaning perfect water params/the correct filtration,etc. I hope you feel better soon about losing your fish,and hopefully we can get Frenchie living the good life. :exactly:lol:

:( Sorry that you lost your other fish. They were real pretty! But I think you are better of keeping the one fish alone in the tank. At least til you can get a bigger tank :exactly

I've actually gotten test kits since. My dad said I only needed amonia and pH, and that is all perfect. And I am going to wait a while, thanks though! :) And I don't think overstocking had to do with it, that tank has always had atleast 3 goldies in it for almost a year now and I havn't had a problem until this past week or two.

I've actually gotten test kits since. My dad said I only needed amonia and pH, and that is all perfect. And I am going to wait a while, thanks though! :) And I don't think overstocking had to do with it, that tank has always had atleast 3 goldies in it for almost a year now and I havn't had a problem until this past week or two.

438562[/snapback]

Ryan,I know that your Dad's a Vet,but really,you should have the Nitrite & NitrAte kit.You may think that overstocking had nothing to do with it,and you could be right,but without testing your water params through that ,you'll never know that for sure.In that year,your Goldfish grew-which means that they ate more/ produced more waste,etc. At some point-even if you did the same weekly water changes,and have the appropiate filter-those fish are going to produce more waste & need even more frequent water changes to keep up with it all as they grow..All it takes to cause a "sick" tank,is one bad reading of Nitrites,or off the chart Nitrates,and that's enough to kill your fish.

Nice photos! I used to have 2 goldies in a 10 gal and even then I felt it was overstocked. The thing with having small tanks is that a single mistake/pathogen has such a big consequence because of the small volume. A larger tank allows more room for errors. So, like everyone suggested, I would keep Frenchie alone until she got bigger or until you can afford a new tank. Goldfishes can live just fine in isolation - and I see you have a nice tank setup so Frenchie won't get bored at all.

Sorry for your losses Black Moorio. :( It can't be easy to loose them all so quickly. How big is Frenchie? Perhaps if he is just a tiny guy, and you REALLY feel the need for him to have a chum, you could get another baby goldy with the intentions of buying them a bigger tank before they get too much bigger? Just a thought. But if Frenchie is a big guy, it probably isn't the best idea. My very first actual aquarium was a 10 gallon with a comet, a big oranda and a fantail. I knew very little about fish then. As soon as I found out how overstocked I was, I made it my personal quest to get them a new bigger home, and managed that within 3 weeks. I bought them a 30 gallon, which have since traded for a 37 gal, which I soon hope to trade again for a 75 gal. Best of luck!

aw im sorry you lost them :heart

Id leave it for while to make sure all traces of disease are gone and Frenchie is in good health.. then either try real hard to get a 20 gal (or more!) before getting another fish, or if you are sure you can upgrade within a couple of months get frenchie a buddy.. but only if you are sure :)

I would keep the one fish alone in the 10. From experience wanting to get a new tank and getting a new tank can really take more time than we want it to. The fish will not suffer from being alone in the tank for a little while but he definately can suffer from being in an overcrowded tank. It is like having a magnifying glass on the tank, all the problems are bigger and more effecting to the fish.

Patience is a smart move in fishkeeping! :exactly