Good News

balashark

well, i wanted to wait and make sure; but i'm pretty sure now it wasn't tb that killed my platy.

i won't go into too much detail, but after euthanizing the fish i had my cousin come over. she's studying biology at UM, so she actually performed a necropsy of sorts on the platy for me. none of the internal signs of piscine tb at all. she even borrowed a culture dish, but what little bacteria did grow was all gram-negative (rejected the purple dye), and mycobacterium is gram-positive. that's what i was waiting on. also, i'm not sure what i was seeing the first time i posted, but upon closer examination of the fish, there were no lesions on his scales.

so i was back at square one. well, i took a sample of my water and went to one of the companies around here that digs wells. i had to tell a little white lie to get them to test my 'well-water' sample :) they did a full screen on my sample, and nothing "highly unusual" in the bacteria test, but the pesticides test was another story. so i left w/ a pamphlet on organo-phosphates. came home and continued my exhaustive research and found that organophosphates can act as a neurotoxin in mamals; and that the use of OP's for treatment of flukes has been known to cause muscular and spinal deformities in pond koi.

sooo, i've pretty much satisfied myself that it wasn't tb in my aquarium after all. plus that, no ugly purple rashes on my arms. so i'm feelin pretty relieved right now. just wanted to share that with everyone.

Yay Justin! Glad it wasn't tb :) LoL I was worried about it on my end for awhile since one of my female guppies is a bit deformed, but it sounded more like from old age.

Sorry about the platy, and I hope you don't have anymore problems with the other fishies! :(

Archived