Calcium Buildup

Carole

The water where I live has a lot of minerals in it and in the past few months since I have had my fish tank, calcium has built up under the hood an on the back of the tank where water spray lands. Does anyone have a good way to clean it? There are descalers on the market but they all leave a resudue that needs to be rinsed off. I did not want to use anything that could contaminate the water since water obviously splashes on those surfaces and drips back into the tank. It is not a huge deal since you can't see it from the front, but I would like to find a way to clean it eventually.

thanks

haha i actually learned about this in my quantitative analysis class. i believe vinegar should work... so if you just rinse it off a little extra after you're done, VOILA.. a clean aquarium hood again~!

Like Tinkokeshi says... Vinegar will do the job. But, if the pieces you're cleaning can be moved away from the tank to clean them, a mixture of five parts water to one part muriatic acid will do the job much faster and is just as harmless as vinegar.

Just make sure to follow the safety instructions on the bottle of muriatic acid, wear rubber gloves and do the cleaning in a well ventilated area

Muriatic acid is just a diluted solution of hydrochloric acid and water and can be found in local pool supply stores and most hardware stores.

The stuff they sell in pet stores to lower PH called PH Down contains the same chemicals and is actually a stronger solution than a five to one mix of muriatic acid and water.

If you cannot move it, soak a paper towel in white vinegar and set it on the problem area - it will loosen the mineral deposit and you can rub it away with a mild abrasive cleaning cloth or tank glass cleaner sponge.

Vinegar is an acid - and if used in large amounts, can lower your pH - if you get some in your tank, simply test the pH and adjust as necessary. If you have a decent buffer, a small amount of vinegar should not have a measurable impact. :)

Archived