Sign in to follow this  
PrimeCase

Hagen Cycle

I was given a bottle of cycle by a friend who stated it made not a hill of beans difference in the last two tanks he set up.

I did a bit of searching online and in the newsgroups and was confronted by the same opinion in a lot of places!!! I was beginning to think oh well, I may as well pitch this straight in the trash but at the last minute I thought, nothing ventured nothing gained decided to give it a shot.

I am putting together a couple of aquariums in the home and am starting with my 10 gallon quarantine tank, bare bottomed with an aquaclear 100 filter. I decided to go fishless and by following the generally accepted 5ppm ammonia level and monitoring ammonia, nitrite and nitrate each day until the cycle is finished. Once the nitrite starts to reduce you then add additional 1/2 doses of ammonia to feed the bio bugs....no worries there. Eventually the cycle finishes with large numbers of nitrates being produced and a 50-75% water change is usually required before adding the first occupants to the tank.

I let the tank run over night before adding my first dose of ammonia (1.8ml of 10% pure ammonia from ace hardware)

parameters read

ammonia=5ppm

nitrite=0ppm

nitrate=0ppm

pH=8.3

dKH=6

dGH=10

temp=80 deg F

after 5 days the parameters read

ammonia=4-5ppm

nitrite=0.25ppm

nitrate=0ppm

which is sort of what I was expecting. The parameters have measured the same for the last 2 days.......I then added the first 10ml dose of "cycle"

24 hours later the parameters were.

ammonia=4-5ppm (possibly lower but its a close call)

nitrite less than 0.25ppm

nitrates between 5-10ppm

It appears that cycle is helping the nitrating biobugs get a foothold even if the the nitriting biobugs are getting off to a slow start!....interesting, this may be why people have a hard time with it....I'm keeping a diary on this and am running all test at least twice to confirm numbers. I will post a reply to this when the cycle is finished and will post the numbers then and add a graph for illutrative purposes.

Kevin

You know what, I don't think it's totally worthless either. I used it in my 29 G tank, when I was getting a bit of a bump in the cycle. I was getting medium level ammonia readings, and no nitrite, and normal nitrate. I was worried that I might get a new cycle, and I didn't know what to do. I wanted to find some Bio Spira, but that is about impossible, so when I went to the store and couldn't find any, I picked up some Cycle for the heck of it. After adding two doses in two days, my tank leveled out and I got readings for a fully cycled tank. The readings kept stable for a week, and then I stopped testing all the time. Things are still normal. I put half of it in my biowheels, and the other half into my tank. I really feel like it made a difference, after only a day or so...and it was cheap too :)

great......my fishless cycle is about to drive me nuts as I haven't got my nitrite spike yet so it appears to be slow going, I also am having a22 of a time finding bio-spira anywhere local.

I'm glad it has leveled out the parameters in your tank.

Kevin

Hmm I found cycle did help somewhat (not as much as I hoped though). Can I ask how fresh that bottle was? There is a manufacture date as well as an expiration date. Don't get your hopes up for the Bio-Spira because a close friend of mine used it and got a funky cycle