Frizzy The Fantail Is Yawning.

kila

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0.25ppm

Nitrite Level? 0ppm

Nitrate level? 40ppm

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.8

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.4

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gallons (UK) running for 2 months.

What is the name and size of the filter/s? 2 Filters, one small BluCompact 01 with one sponge filter inside and one large canister filter with mixed medium inside (sponge, floss, ceramics)

How often do you change the water and how much? Once or twice a week, 40%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 Fancy goldfish, about 1.5 inches each. 1 Apple snail.

What kind of water additives or conditioners? ?Sera?, water conditioner.

Any medications added to the tank? No

Add any new fish to the tank? No

What do you feed your fish? Flakes, sinking pellets, blood worm pellets, sometimes peas.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Swollen belly, not pine coning.

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc..? Aggressive behaviour and lots of ?yawning?, sometimes it seems like he is spitting out or vomiting chewed food. He has appetite though.

I?m not sure what?s wrong with Frizzy, my little Fantail. He/she (I don?t know) has had a little swollen belly for the past couple of weeks. There are no scales sticking out, he just seems to be more swollen than before. Also, he?s ?yawning? a lot recently, stretching his mouth open. Sometimes he spits his chewed food out. This morning from until now (hours!!) he has been completely tormenting the Moor he shares the tank with (my moor is male). Nipping at it, chasing him non-stop, rubbing off him. I put the Fantail in isolation for an hour and did a 70% water change. He?s back in now and is acting a bit more normally but he?s either being still or swimming quite fast and then still again. Any thoughts? Should i be doing something more to help? Thanks in advance.

Have you had the fish for the whole two months or did you cycle the tank first?

It sounds to me like gill flukes with the yawning and throwing out of food actions.

You can use something like sterazin to control them and you need to switch off your overhead lights.

Just as an after thought do you know if your tank has cycled at all as you shouldnt have any ammonia present if it has.

Thanks for your reply. I've had the two fish since I set the tank up 2 months ago so they were both in there during the cycle. I'm not sure if my ammonia levels are zero or 0.25 as both colours are very similar on my test sheet and I can't decide which reading is correct.

As I live in Sicily, they won't have that brand name so what will i ask for, a treatment for gill flukes? How would he have come in contact with this? Can I take preventative measures for the future?

Yes take the snail out. You could try salt to get rid of any parasites.

Can you get aquarium salt or rock salt? Any salt apart from table salt really.

Add 1 level teaspoon per gallon to give you a .1% solution then 12 hours later do the same to give .2% and then again 12 hours later to give you .3%. Keep this level for a week or so and see if he gets better with just the salt treatment. You can keep both fish in for this. When you do water changes remember to calculate how much water you take out so you can add back the salt but dont add salt if you are topping up through evaporation.

Archived