Pictures Of A Hermit Crab Shell Change!

jsrtist

I finally got pictures of a crab changing shells. I was so fascinated the first time I ever saw them do this. This is one of my Ecuadorian crabs who has already changed shells with me once. People always say Es never change shells but mine do all the time.

"Hmm, this one looks nice."

10089631na.gif

"Lets just try it on for size?"

10089656if.gif

Guest Chishower

Awesome. I havent had a shell change yet, but I think I have a molter.

Could I see a picture of the whole tank? Mine is horrid right now, only the minimul things they need to live, and I want to know how to make it better. And look nicer.

10085539yf.gif

Here it is a couple months ago (right after it was set up). Its a 60 gallon which I love because its long and low. Ive changed it a little since then and will post an updated pic soon. Basically, the left hand side is crushed coral sand, and thats where the saltwater and freshwater pool are. They are very deep so I have coral pieces on one side so crabs can easily climb in and out.

I have the middle part filled with building sand, about 5" deep, and the right side is Eco Earth. I have moss, lava rock pieces, and sandblasted grapevine on that side. If you look in the upper right hand corner, there is a reptile hammock too and I have sea sponges and more moss up there as a second level. I also have a green plastic plant mat along the back, hanging on suction cups. They can climb and hide in that. I also found that in the reptile department.

Anyway, hope that helps. I try to change things up a little here and there to keep them from getting bored. I also wanted to make sure they have long, open stretches where they can run if they want. I dont take them out and handle them or anything so I want them to have plenty of room to move around. :)

Guest Chishower

O_O WOW. Thats amazing, your crabs must be so happy! All I have is a pathetic lil 10 with 2 inches of play sand and no room for them to run around....and dozer (a HUGE strawberry) demolishes it every day.

Is it possible to use rubbermades for hermits? I would love to give mine more run around room.

*sits and drools over your tank*

LOL Thanks! Its taken a long way to get a nice crabitat. It used to be a 20 gallon. My crabs have really grown a lot in the time Ive had them. Ive had one almost two years and he is just huge now.

You could use rubbermaids as long as you can keep up the humidity in them. Thats the main advantage to an aquarium becuase you can use the glass lid. I see youre in Florida so that may help. You just want to make sure to keep the crabitat warm and humid and they should be happy.

Also you will want to add more sand when you can. It should at least be deep enough for your largest to completely burrow down. I lost 4 molters to predation until I deepened my sand bed.

Guest Chishower
Also you will want to add more sand when you can. It should at least be deep enough for your largest to completely burrow down. I lost 4 molters to predation until I deepened my sand bed.

436472[/snapback]

Ugh, dont tell me that. My molter with shell is only as big as dozers big claw.

I do have a brand new bag of play sand outside....that could be a project for this week. But how to I add more sand without making the sand too deep over my lil molter? :krazy:

I'll try to spruce it up this week. They love to climb.

Just carefully add it around him. I have actually covered molters before and freaked out because I thoguht I would kill them, but they have been fine. I think it is safer for them to be covered because the other crabs can actually smell them and may try to eat them. It is rare but as I said its happened to me. :cry1

I would suggest adding some sort of second level to your tank. Since it is small, that would give them a lot more surface area and they wont feel as crowded. The little reptile hammocks come in different sizes and are inexpensive. You can even rig one up yourself using netting or plastic canvas (or whatever else you can think of) and some suction cups. :)

Archived