I Need A Goldfish Expert

Carole

Hello

I need an objective goldfish expert to answer some questions about goldfish. I'm giving a speech in my speech class about why goldfish should not be kept in bowls. I have learned a great deal about goldies in the months since I have started keeping them but I would like some expert information about their needs and happiness.

I would like someone who has long term experience taking care of many types of goldfish so that I can get well rounded answers.

When I find someone who is interested I will post my questions.

Thanks!

Carole

Shoot away, Carole - I'll be all ears! Every now and then I'll be wandering off adjusting my christmas tree, but other than that... :lol:

That's right....the rest of us would not go a letter over 3000!!! :rofl

You could probably address your questions to the forum......you will get MORE info than you could possible use!! :rofl

OK Ranchugirl,

Here it goes. The first question is a bookkeeping question.

1. Why do you consider yourself a goldfish expert?

The next questions were on a survey that I distrubuted to a (somewhat) random group of people so that I could take a measure of the common beliefs about goldfish. They are multiple choice questions, but I would like you to give some information about the accuracy/incorrectness of each of the choices. There may not be one correct answer, so just elaborte on each of the choices. If the question does not seem to have any real answer, just give me your expert opinion. Please consider all types of goldfish, and feel free to give your two cents about important points that are not listed as choices for answers. Answer the questions keeping in mind reasons why goldfish should not be kept in bowls.

2. What is the best reason for owning goldfish?

a. To teach responsibilitiy

b. For home decoration

c. For companionship

d. For food for other pets

3. How long can goldfish live?

a. 1 month

b. 1 year

c. 10 years

d. 25 years

e. 50 years

4. What is a suitable living environment for a goldfish?

a. A plastic cup

b. A goldfish bowl

c. A fish tank

d. A backyard pond

e. A river

5. How big can goldfish grow to be?

a. 2 in

b. 4 in

c. 6 in

d. 12 in

e. 20 in

6. True or False. Goldfish are cleaner than most other types of fish.

a. True

b. False

7. True or False. Sterile living environments are better for goldfish than environments with algae and bacteria.

a. True

b. False

8. True or False. Goldfish can become bored easily without daily play.

a. True

b. False

9. Goldfish have:

a. No memory

b. A three second memory

c. An adaptive memory

d. A well developed, long term memory

10. Goldfish require:

a. Aeration

b. Aeration and filters

c. Aeration, filters, and lights

d. Aeration, filters, lights, and heaters

e. None of the above

And one open question.

12. What would you say are the three most important reasons goldfish should not live in bowls?

Thanks for answering these questions for me. Hopefully we can persuade a couple dozen people to take better care of there fish! I will be looking foward to your response. :D

Carole

It could be interesting to get everyone's answers. Because this was intended as an interview required by a school project, I would still like to get all of the questions answered by one expert like Ranchugirl. So everyone can take a crack at it but I will be waitng for Ranchugirl's answers.

Carole

• Supporter

I sent Ranchugirl a private message letting her know you need the answers by Tuesday if she is still available. You aren't able to send PM's yet since you are new, so I thought that might help if she does not see this thread right away. Glad you have lots of people to help and good luck with your essay. :-)

I'm no goldfish expert, but I'd like to think that I know more about goldfish than the majority of the population. I studied aquaculture for 3 semesters and have been learning much about goldfish in the past 4-5 months or so. Long term goal is to become a local goldfish breeder :D .

The next questions were on a survey that I distrubuted to a (somewhat) random group of people so that I could take a measure of the common beliefs about goldfish. They are multiple choice questions, but I would like you to give some information about the accuracy/incorrectness of each of the choices. There may not be one correct answer, so just elaborte on each of the choices. If the question does not seem to have any real answer, just give me your expert opinion. Please consider all types of goldfish, and feel free to give your two cents about important points that are not listed as choices for answers. Answer the questions keeping in mind reasons why goldfish should not be kept in bowls.

a. To teach responsibility

b. For home decoration

c. For companionship

A, B, & C are all valid reasons to own goldfish, as long as the owner takes care of the fish well & willing to learn how to keep goldfish better.

I understand all the reasons of feeding goldfish to other carnivorous fish i.e. cheap, easily available, etc, so D is also a reason to own goldfish, but it's not what we're trying to educate & promote here. Every goldfish has a right to be treated humanely and their interests fulfilled by the owner.

a. 1 month

b. 1 year

c. 10 years

d. 25 years

e. 50 years

The official world record for the oldest goldfish in captivity is 43 years old by a goldfish named Tish (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/414114.stm). The potential life-span for goldfish in the wild might be closer to 100 years though.

Comets, commons & shubunkins are, on average, more hardy then fancy varieties, hence they usually live longer. It's not uncommon for them to live up to 20-30 years old. Fancy varieties (fantail, oranda, ranchu, telescope, etc) are a bit less hardy & generally have a shorter life span. A 10 year-old fancy is considered an great achievement.

Where they are kept is also a factor. Ranchu keepers in Singapore or other tropical countries rarely have their fishes past 5-6 years old, due to the constantly high temperatures that forces the fish's organs to work always at optimum condition, hence the organs wear out faster & they die sooner.

So to answer ur question: E is the potential life-span in capitivity, D is not uncommon, C is what most goldfish will & can achieve.

a. A plastic cup

b. A goldfish bowl

c. A fish tank

d. A backyard pond

e. A river

Of course a river :D or a lake. Any fish, not just goldfish, will thrive & do best in a natural water system. A backyard pond is a good imitation of a natural water system, and goldfish kept in a pond generally grow larger & fitter than their tank-kept brethrens. A fish tank is what most of us can afford to do, and goldfish also do very well in it, as long as it's well-maintained and the size is adequate. The minimum volume for a fancy goldfish is 10 gal/fish, and 20-30 gal/fish for comets & commons. Other countries such as Singapore even suggest a minimum of 30 gal per fancy goldfish.

A goldfish bowl is inadequate, because of: 1. It's hard work maintaining good water quality in a bowl, 2. It's way too small, 3. The goldfish will become stunted, 4. It's a common myth that's impractical & false & cruel & must be gradually weeded out from our folklore.

And let's not talk about plastic cups......

a. 2 in

b. 4 in

c. 6 in

d. 12 in

e. 20 in

Again, it depends on the type of goldfish. Comets, commons, & shubunkins can easily reach a foot. Fancier types are a bit smaller, but some types are bigger than others. Orandas frequently reach 10-12 inch long, and the world record for a fancy goldfish is Bruce the Giant Oranda who I believe is now about 17-inch or so in length. Ranchu & Lionhead can reach up to 7-8 inch, as well as ryukins, pearlscales & telescopes. The smallest varieties includes celestials & bubble-eyes. So the answer is can be either C, D, or E, depends on the variety.

a. True

b. False

False. They eat like pigs and the poop a lot :D

7. True or False. Sterile living environments are better for goldfish than environments with algae and bacteria.

a. True

b. False

False. Bacterias are essential in breaking down ammonia & nitrite to the less harmful nitrate. Algae will provide the goldfish with food & to a certain extent helps the water quality.

a. True

b. False

I'd like to say false. Goldfish will thrive better if they're provided with some stimulus in their environment, be it an airstone, moss balls, or just somekind of underwater structure. Goldfish also do better when they're intreacting with other goldfish or other compatible fish such as white cloud minnows, plecos, etc.

9. Goldfish have:

a. No memory

b. A three second memory

c. An adaptive memory

I'd say an adaptive memory. They can remember feeding times and can learn tricks.

10. Goldfish require:

a. Aeration

b. Aeration and filters

e. None of the above

I'd say none of the above, but it depends on where the goldfish is kept. Japanese ranchu breeders often keep their prized fish in outdoor greenwater ponds without any aeration, filter, heater or lighting, and the fish thrives! I myself keep an outdoor greenwater tub with only an airstone and roughly weekly water change. For an aquarium however, an aeration and a filtration system is a must, unless u want to change the water every day :rolleyes: . Lighting is a great addition to any aquarium, especially if you're keeping live plants. A light with the right spectrum can also enhance the colours of the fish. Heaters are additional, as goldfish can tolerate a wide range of temperature.

And one open question.

12. What would you say are the three most important reasons goldfish should not live in bowls?

1. The shape & size of the bowl is not suitable for goldfish to live & grow to their full potential.

2. It's very hard to maintain water quality in a bowl.

3. "Goldfish lives in bowls" originated long ago when the knowledge of keeping goldfish is still very simple. Nowadays we know better and we know what's needed to make a goldfish thrive in captivity, and it's certainly doesn't include a bowl. We need to teach other people, and especially our kids & the next generation that while goldfish are hardy & resilient & easy to care for, they need much, much more than a bowl of water and a pinch of food everyday to thrive.

Hope that helps ;)

Thanks, Jen - got your PM! Haven't forgotten about you though, Carole, just realized yet again (like every year) that I have way too much christmas decor to unpack. TIme got away from me!

Good shot at the answes, Golem... :thumbup Considering that most of us don't have the luxury of a natural environment or a pond, I'll give it a try from a tank owner's point of view... :)

I'd consider myself an expert, because over the years of goldfish keeping I was willing to read and absorb all the things that are neccessary to keep a goldfish happy and healthy. I have tried many ways of keeping fish, including ponds, as well as experimented around with stocking levels, found pros and cons (and just plain useless) ways of treating goldfish for all kinds of illnesses, and have gotten into breeding as well. As long as one is willing to learn and change its way of keeping fish if neccessary, you can be an expert too. That is a learning curve one has to go through, and be able to adapt to new things, be open to a helping hand, that's when you learn and broaden your horizon...

a. To teach responsibilitiy

b. For home decoration

c. For companionship

For me personally it was at first C - goldfish are very personable fish and respond very well to their daily surroundings. They notice and recognize you, and if they would have a tail to wag, they would do that too. :lol: Of course A and B are great reasons too for owning a goldfish.

The food thing, not that is entirely different. Besides the fact that it is an inhumane way (although widely practised), I consider it downright dangerous. Most of all to the carnivore fish that the goldfish is fed to - feeder fish aren't well taken care off because of the fact that they aren't supposed to live long. Therefore, no preventive measures are taken in their care to avoid parasites and other nasties. Introducing a goldfish into another tank as a food source will also introduce parasites into that tank and can and will make the "eater" of the goldfish sick.

a. 1 month

b. 1 year

c. 10 years

d. 25 years

e. 50 years

On average and because of the bowl issue, a lot of goldfish will not make it more than a year in a bowl, if they are lucky. Of course there are always the exceptions, but they are rare. A realistic number would probably be 10 years, depending on the breed. The more fancy the fish, the less of a life span, simply because their genetic mutations are so delicately at that stage, that they are not as resistant and long lived than their counterparts. Not to mention their living conditions - the more space and healthy food and well taken care of water, the longer a fish lives, no matter what breed. My oldest fish is 7 years old, a blue telescope that I bought as a tiny little thing, and measures now 8 inches.

a. A plastic cup

b. A goldfish bowl

c. A fish tank

d. A backyard pond

e. A river

Again, most of us don't have the luxury of rivers or ponds, so a tank would be the thing to go. Plastic cups and bowls, well, a fish can live, but those he thrive or is he healthy? And even in a tank, there are certain things that need to be watched, like the stocking levels. None of my fish currently has less than 20 gl each, most of them are up to 40 gl per fish. One might think that the tank must look awefully empty, but when you see a big happy and healthy fish swim around in it, with barely any troubles for years to come, then you know you must be doing something right.

a. 2 in

b. 4 in

c. 6 in

d. 12 in

e. 20 in

Golem covered that pretty nicely, nothing to add... :)

a. True

b. False

Golem again... what can I say... :lol:

a. True

b. False

ditto....

a. True

b. False

Definetely true - some sort of interaction or distraction is essential to a happy fish. Of course, there are many goldfish in a tank by themselves, but they do have still some sort of stimulation.

9. Goldfish have:

a. No memory

b. A three second memory

c. An adaptive memory

Golem, thanks!

10. Goldfish require:

a. Aeration

b. Aeration and filters

e. None of the above

I'd go with C - goldfish (unlike tropicals) are coldwater fish, and will do fine in an unheated environment. Of course, freezing temperatures will do harm to any goldfish, that's why there are de-izers on ponds in the winter.

And one open question.

Nothing to add to Golem's answer - right on the dot!

Well my speech was a hit. My teacher said that no one could argue with what I had to say about goldfish health and happiness. He told me how when he was young he had goldfish that just kept dying and someone else shared their experience of having a goldfish last only one day. I shared a list of goldfish problems and diseases that goldfish can get as a result of bad water and everyone was shocked!

2 commons,

My good idea but I was only alotted 8 min for my speech and as everyone can understand I was not able to give a thorough enough speech to use as a reference.

Thaks everyone for your support!

• Supporter

Glad to hear it went well, you came to the right place for info! Maybe you will even save some goldfish lives by telling people how important the water quality is. :-)

Archived