Boy, Its Cold This Morning!

Ranchugirl

For the first time this year, its in the 50s! And my goldies are frrrrrreeeezzzing out there in their ponds!

Boy, what a difference a 3 hour drive make! In the Ft. Lauderdale area, it dipped that cold during the night maybe in January/February 3-4 times a year, here in Orlando its this cold already in November! I am thinking about hanging some thick plastic sheets in the pool area to protect the small area where the ponds are....Its in a nice little corner, and if I can hang those sheets down from the ceiling to keep the cold out, that would help a lot! Airpumps are off, and the output from the filter is extended down to the ponds a bit more, so the water doesnt come into contact with the cold air all that much.

The only time I ever had to cover the ponds up with sheets of foam was when it dipped down to the 30s and 40s last winter...... :unsure:

We have a windchill up here of 20. Our high is supposed to be 34. My pond had ice on it this morning. I'm glad I decided to move all the fish in for the winter. The frogs are hibernating at the bottom of it though. My mom and dad live in Lady Lake for the winter. They wanted to turn their furnace on this am to get the chill out. They have a pond also.

Ranchugirl 50 is not cold! Debi you are a little colder than me - but we have been in the 30's in the mornings. No ice yet - it has to get pretty cold to get any ice on my pond. Ranchugirl - that sounds like a lot of work and not necessary. Your fish will be fine. I leave my pump running year round to keep the pond from freezing over. I am sure your fish will be fine in Flordia (I am in Missouri). They don't mind the cold as you and I do.

I sound like a whimp complaining about temps in the 50s! :rofl Seriously, you should see us South Floridians! Once it hits the 50s, we walk around like eskimos! :rofl Whimps!

I do not mess around with the ponds much during the cold, just a little covering or shading, since there are fancy goldies in there, not comets (well, not many anyway) or koi. I have orandas, ryukin and ranchu in there mostly, as well as the bristol shubunkins...

I dip my finger into their water and am glad, I can take a hot bath when I am cold! :rofl

:D Lol.... here in Canada quebec is very cold

i think if you ever came here in winter you

would find it really cold like in the 50s is like

nothing to us

Were like at least it's not -30 lol .... i hate the cold

im just wondring why i live in Canada Quebec then lol

Ranchu,

I think everyone on this board would love too have our problems with keeping the temperature up in their ponds during the winter. I am a little south of orlando but over on the west coast in New Port Richey so I am pretty sure we have the same weather.

Note for Debi: The pond here is 74 degrees right now. Just wanted too add that since I know you are in NY and that is where I am from originally. I feel your pain.

Rob, I had to bring my fish in yesterday, especially the Bristols. They have a bad case of Ich suddenly from the cooler temps, and I hoped, they would be hardy enough to leave them in the pond during the winter. Well, well.....

Now, they are inside in a 75 gl tank, looking miserable. The rest of the 300 gl pond fish are inside as well. I have a 12 inch comet out there, which was already out during last years winter in Ft. Lauderdale, and he did fine. It surprises me that he was not happy at all during those last cool temperature episode. He and his last companion in the 300 gl, a 4 inch tancho comet, were just sitting on the bottom, like they do when they are cold, like slowing down the metabolism. I have them in a 30 gl tank now, just to make sure they didnt catch any of that Ich stuff from the Bristols, and when they are fine in a week or so, they are gonna go into the garage.

The 3 other 160 gl tubs with mostly ranchu in there are doing fine. They overwintered last year as well outside, and they dont show any sign of cold or stress at all. They are very hardy. I am still gonna go and get those guys a heater, after all, the 40s is not something they saw that early in the winter last year. They are covered in plastic sheeting for now....

Poor me, had to move around a 160 gl tub all by myself.... ;):)

Archived