Tank Breeding

Lynn

B) I am going to try to set up a 55gal tank for breeding B&G GF. It is my Brirthday presnt to me. :panana What do I need? I have a B&G that is a little fatter then she was last week. I hope she is getting ready to lay. Will she chase the othe fish like a male? I have seen her nipping at the anal area of the other fish. Why is she doing that or is she a he? <_<

Does he/she have breeding stars (white raised pumps on his pectoral fin or gill)? How big are the fish, and how is the temperature of your tank?

Here is a helpful link to learn more about breeding..http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/breeding.html

Other things to consider are high protein foods to condition the fish, something like brine shrimp, cooked shrimp from the grocery store, or bloodworms. That will help a lot as well....

Good luck!

And nice present to yourself! :happydance

:cry1 No tank yet, but I will kept tring to get my husband to like me get one. How many butterfly koi can I get in a 55gal tank. Only until next spring, then they will go in a pond of thier own. :rolleyes:

:happydance I have my tank up and running. Right now, I have butterfly Koi in it. I am waiting for my B&G to grow a little more. This spring the Butterflys will get thier own pond and I will move the B&Gs to the 55g tank then. :druel

:hi And thank you guys so much for all the help I got. I printed the web info and started a book. I bought about breeding and you wont beleive what it said. It said to grab the male fish and put pressure on his body, then do the same to the female. OMG, how could any one do that :thud

artificial breeding like that is common when people are breeding selectively. Done correctly it doesn't hurt the fish, but I will certainly never do that. The two or three of my fish that I want to breed will be separated out, since I deffinately want Kenshin (who I think is a sarasa) to breed with Kaoru and the other little female who looks like a second or third generation fancy/common mix.

Archived