Snail Care....

gialeigh

Well, I stop in to this forum from time to time and honestly I think it was you guys who made me want to get snails so bad!!! So, Im thinking of getting a few for my tanks, but I have questions first.

Do they normally live off of extra goldfish food on the bottom of the tank and algae? That seems to be what most pet stores tell me. I have some algae disks, would they like that?

Do they need calcium suppliments?

Can they eat gel food? If I make a gel food with ingrediants high in calcium and protien would that be ok? (tuna and some sort of vegetable...oh what is that veggie with calcium...kale maybe????)

I have heard it is not recomended to have snails with goldfish. What has been your experience with that?

A lady at vvvv told me today that I should only have ONE snail in a very large tank because they produce so much ammonia. Is that true? And if so is 2 snails in a 55 gallon tank too much if I already have 5 fish in it?

Thanks.....

Edit: oh sorry Im talking about Brig snails or apple snails...whatever you them them.....cutest things!!!! Not the plant eating ones because I am trying to nurse my plants back to health and thats the last thing I need.

yea they will eat that stuff.. but will probably need extra food like the gell food and algae wafers, mine eats those :) PH should be high for their shells.. whats yours at now?

eerm about putting 2 in the 55.. i think that should be ok, but they are very messy almost as much as goldfish so id go with one at first and see how your water copes :D

Apple snails do eat plants though, more so than algae.. erm yea

:)

My snails like algae wafers. Snails (mine anyway) eat just about anything: lettuce, cabbage, carrots, beans, peas occasionally, tubifex chunks, tiny pieces of apple and banana. Thats all I can think of.

Oh! And freeze dried baby shrimp (soaked, of course)

If you get an apple snail, go with the bridgesii apple snails... they're more colorful, don't get as big, and won't eat your plants unless they're dead or dying. You might have problems finding them in your petstores, but I've seen em here labeled as "mystery snails". mmm even sells blue and ivory ones. If you want some really pretty, colorful nice ones though, I'd ask members on this board, applesnail.net, or look on aquabid.com or eBay.

Guest Chishower

Lol, erika, I love the quote under your avatar.

My brigs have a soft spot for peaches, but they trash your water quality so feed that out of the tank in a dish or something.

I'm sure someone here will have extra snails. I know magic just had baby snails. Mine are doing a whole lot of mating, but no egg laying. -.- I wish they would hurry up!

:) Snails can and do live off of fish food/Algae wafer's,etc.,(Appple Snails only eat actual Algae as a last resort when they are starving)but in my opinion,I think that mine are happiest when eating fresh veggies that are high in Calcium for them. Not onlydo they adore them,the veggies help with the Calcium side of things in keeping their shells strong & smoothe. I personally do add liquid Calcium to my snails tanks ,to aid as a supplement.It doesn't hurt the fish at all as far as my snail tanks go. I've kept Snails with my goldfish with no problem.The only thing that I'd recommend is that they be alot bigger than the Goldfish's mouth,for they have been known to swallow a snail or two. :rolleyes: I would have no problem with keeping a few in a 55 gal. tank,even with 5 goldfish in there,as long as you have a good filtration system going on,and do regular water changes.Snails need to have their PH at least around 7.4 to maintain good shell growth.My biggest downfall with Goldies & Snails,is that making sure the Goldfish actually save the poor snail's some veggies.It's a real tug of War! :lol:

lol! My goldies REALLY go for the wafers, so I may have to put a few in there...or take the snails out to get a fair chance at feeding time. Ok well, susan contacted me back and says she has all the snails I want in stock, so I think Im going to talk to hubby and make sure its ok to order them. I dont know if he is going to go for $25.00 for snails, but we'll see. Im getting 2 each for my 55 gallon tanks and one for my 35, so 5 snails. They are all apple snails. One pink, one violet, one blue, one gold, and one of the jade ones. She has such beautiful snails and resonable prices and shipping so I wanted to try this website for a long time now. Here it is...Im sure Ive showed you before. Has anyone ordered from this site before???

http://www.mysnails.com/snail_bucket.htm

:D Well,Susan has changed her name,it was formerly "Snips & Snails",but other than that I'm sure it's all good.I have purchased from her in the past,and have been very happy with the outcome.She really has some pretty colored/healthy snails. I always let people know of her. :) We look forward to seeing your little beauties when you get them all settled in. :D

Guest Chishower

I got my original six brigs from her! USPS lost the package and it was 10 days in coming, but they were all out and about in a matter of minutes of being put in the aclimation bowl, pretty and healthy as anything. I highly reccomend her.

You should get some of her snail cookies, too. Fish AND snails love em.

She is great at returning emails and is very helpful at answering questions also. Im glad to hear others have had a good experience buying from her! I still havent asked hubby....we just bought 3 chickens so I dont know if he'll go for it...but maybe....

Archived