Sign in to follow this  
Black Moorio

Please Help..

Mist, my beautiful golden-panda oranda as of yesterday has show symptoms of...well I don't know...Jet had the same symptoms before he died. Well I put him to sleep, but I'm trying to find the cure of this before it hits Precious and Frenchie.

She tries to swim, but really can't. I see her pumping her fins and she can get to the surface for a little bit, but then she just stops swimming and sings to the bottom of the tank, weather she lands on a rock or in a plant is up to gravity, and if it is in an uncomfortable place, she will slowly move, but once she hits the bottom her gills are breathing, as if she is gasping for air.

she made it through the night, but I don't know how much longer she will be able to cope with this, or how long I will be able to cope with this. I don't have any test kits to test the water and this is what I have done so far.

~20(ish)% water change

~Hand fed Mist peas, I was holding her gently in my palm because she would have sunk if I hadn't.

I really don't want to loose her, so please reply as soon as possible.

You really need to get your water tested, a pet store can do this for you.

Could you fill in the rest of the box above but it sounds like swimbladder problems or a bacterial/viral problem with it.

Guest Sootica

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with Mist. Answering the questions above will allow people to have more of an idea of what is going on in your tank, and if you can get your water tested then this would help us to eliminate any water quality problems. It's worth investing in some test kits-water quality is the first thing to check if your fish aren't acting quite right. Until then, I'd continue with the peas and make sure you do a largish water change each day just in case. If you have any salt (sea salt or aquarium salt, any variant that doesn't include anti-caking agents) this may help, I believe it's to a 0.3% solution in the aquarium water. Add the salt gradually so as not to stress the fish. Have a search about on the net or this site for the correct dosage-sorry I can't remember off hand!

Good luck, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you further with a bit more information :)

UPDATE:

Mist is swimming around a bit every once and a while, usually not moving an inch above the ground, but she will be in lots of different places when I check up on her. She still is lying down on the ground, her gasping for breath has gone to a steady/faint breathing. Or thats what it looks like atleast. When I fed them, she wouldn't come up so I gently edged her up to the surface with my hand and held her in my palm (GENTLY, she didn't seem to mind, she looked happy actually) and I fed her a flake of food which she greedily ate. Then I let her go after she was done chewing and she just floated back down to the substrate. :( Nobody can take me to the pet store to get some test kits, my dad is always exhausted from work, my mom doesn't like to deal with fish things and my sister won't take me. We are going out of town today and comming back tomorrow, I'm going to treat her like a queen....I don't know how much longer she will last.... :cry1

Stop feeding the flakes and fast for 3 days to see if that helps then feed the peas for a couple of days to see if that helps.

You wont be able to feed flake again so try something that sinks either granular or pellets but if you have the time try and make your own food.

Feeding some live food if you can get it helps as does the frozen.

Perhaps I should mention that she has gone through a rather dramatic color change latley...here is a picture(s) I took yesterday when she was up and about for a short time

IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5116.jpg

Looks like your fish is getting the adult gold colour.

Is that the reason she is acting this way? Probably not...

I fed her some peas, she at a little bit when I put them in front of her mouth. I also put part of a tubifex worm cube in there for the other fish, she ate a few pieces on the ground then threw it up. *sigh*

Dont feed tubifex to your fish, it contains parasites.

No the colour change wont affect behaviour but if you can get your water tested then that would help us to help you more.

Guest Sootica

Hello, Hope Mist is doing ok still :) She's a pretty fish. If it's any consolation at all he looks pretty healthy and perky in the pics; no clamping of fins or anything to suggest he's poorly except the behaviour you've described. I'd go with Snady o this one, it does sound like she might have some swimbladder problems. It's not unusual with orandas as they grow and become more round bodied.

Iffy water can sometimes make swimbladder worse, so keep up water changes in the absence of any test kits. Partial changes little and often should keep the water in good condition, though again if there's any way that you can get hold of a kit it would help tremendously!

I agree with Sandy, try fasting Mist for a couple of days, the rest of the tank will benefit from this too. It won't do her any harm at all and will allow any trapped food and/or air to move through her system. Then feed peas for a day or two, this will also help to clean out the digestive system of all the fish in your aquarium.

The oranda in my avatar-Carmen-spent a good long time floating at the top of the tank when I first got her, entirely upside down, until I settled her into a feeding routine that really sorted her out. It's generally a case of trial and error when you have a fish susceptible to swimbladder; here's what i did and maybe you can try something similar. I'd feed sinking pellets in the morning, some daphnia or bloodworms in the evening, Saturdays I'd feed peas and Sundays nothing at all. And eventually Carmen stopped floating, and was as happy as larry. You say you're feeding flakes at the moment-this can sometimes exacerbate swimbladder problems as the fish take in air when they slurp the flakes from the surface. I'd recommend sinking pellets, Hikari do a good one-Hikari Lionhead, but in the meantime you can just soak the flakes in a little tank water before you feed them. This will make them soft, and they'll slowly sink through the water.

Try not to worry too much (easier said than done, I know!) and if Mist shows any change-better or worse-do post back. Good luck :)

Oh yes, and don't worry about the colour change, goldfish often change as they mature. The black colouring is the least stable in goldies, so with the exception of black moors, most juvenile fish will lose all or part of their black colour as they get older. True black mature fish are quite hard to come by for that very reason :)

Edited by Sootica

What is your water chem hun?

:unsure: I'm thinking that also. Nine out of ten times,it's all about the water quality Moorio.Your water can look great,and yet be very deadly to your fish.I'd really work on getting to the LFS and picking up a test kit.It's amazing how much better you and your fish will feel when you take all the guesswork out of it.As mentioned,until you're able to test water,I would continue with frequent water changes.High Nitrates can also aggravate your fishy's swimbladder too.Without actual #'s,we could just sit here and continue to guess at your probs.How long have you had this tank set up? What size tank are we talking here?How many-what size/type of fish are in there? How often do you do water changes/gravel vacs?

Hey all, I just got back from out of town for the day/night/morning. I went up to check on Mist and I found her in the corner of my tank kinda bent around the underground filter tube. I nudged her out and she started lying on her side in an arch and she looked horrible. Her eyes were really wide and her fins streatched out (like her dorsal fin straight up) and she started twitching...After a while this stopped and her breating is so-so. After consulting my dad, I moved her into a small cooler full of tank water and a little de-clorinated tap and me and my dad are running up to the clinic to get some fish medicine. For those who don't know, my dad is a vet and has a lot of goldfish/koi patients.

I know I am breaking a lot of rules here, but I have a 10 gallon tank, 3 goldies, used to be 4 but I euthonized one of the fish who was having the same problem as Mist. But I've decided I need to find a cure for whatever this is incase my other fish get it. The goldies arn't that small, Precious is about 1.5 inches, Mist is about 3 tail to nose and Frenchie is 5 tail to nose. Okay, maybe they are kinda big, but they have always been perfectly healthy until now.

I put some plant scraps, like little pieces that float around the top of my other tank and are kinda rooting, in the tank. I do water changes every few weeks.

I'm having some hope, even though she is ill. I'm doing my best guys.... :cry1:heart

Guest Sootica

Oh I'm so sorry Mist's taken a turn for the worse. That's good news that your dad has the knowledge to help you out. Hang on in there with her, make sure the water she is in is absolutely pristine before adding whichever med you use as it's not always possible to change water during a course of treatment. It does sound as though there could be some severe water quality issues; the way you describe her bent like that sounds as though it could be related to poisoning? I'm not sure-hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help you out there. How is Mist behaving now she's in a different container? As you put tank water in with her it would be worth doing several small water changes I think, as it seems that the tank water may be a big part of the problem.

With an overstocked tank I would imagine that you would need to do partial water changes more often than every couple of weeks. If you can pick up some test kits when you get the medicine then it will hopefully help eliminate some problems with Mist, and certainly help you to monitor the water for the fish remaining in the main aquarium. Fingers crossed for you and Mist, I know it's horrible not knowing how to help a poorly fish! :unsure:

Ooh, just to clarify...when you say you do water changes every few weeks is that a complete change, or a partial one? Do you know if your tank is fully cycled?

Edited by Sootica

my tank has been running for almost a year and a half. Like I said, there has never been that much of a problem with the fish's health.

I moved Mist to the cooler and she seems fine with it. She stays in the corner or against the wall most of the time. I added the antibiotics and yeah. It begins. I'll keep you guys updated.

Hi Black,

Sorry to read you have a ill fishy. If your dad is a Vet, then he should be able to to do a Baytril injection, IP, ventral fin, is preferable unless its a female with eggs, then IM should be used instead. He'll know what I mean.... This is much faster then treating the water itself. ;)

oh no oh no oh no...Frenchie and Precious-the other two tank mates are showing symptoms of this...thing. I turned on the tank light this morning tos ee them sitting on the bottom of the tank, and every time I go up there they are there. But after a few lightly tapps on the glass, they get up and swim around like nothing has happened.

Marioa, test the water Q and post it up. Also have your dad do a scrape & scope to see if there's any parasites involved. He can access koivet knowledge base & staff if needed too. :D There's not much I can add from the lack of info here.

Thank you all for your help and support, but Mist passed away yesterday evening...I'm going to type her up an obituary if you want to see it.