Sign in to follow this  
Jack of Hearts

Your Goldfish's Name...

Where do i start?! I always watch my new fish first then come up with a suitable name that i think fits.

Mysti- When i got here she had black and looked mystical

Fletch- My sister named him, he has a twin called Flitch who lives in the pond as he was too much of a boy

Bluey- Has blue looking scales

Mika- Named after the singer, plus i like the name!

Tiny Tim- Originally named Baby Blue, but took the Tiny Tim name as he was so tiny compared to my other fish when I got him

Other names of past fish- Coco as he was a choc oranda, but turned orange

Stripe- Had a stripe down her back

Punk- Had black colourings that made her look like a punk

Crunchie- Looked choc when the lights were off and the inside of a crunchie when the lights where on!!

Wigan- Red cap, team colours of Wigan rugby team

Guest dcninja

my red cap is named Ippo - he is the main character in an anime called hajime no ippo... it's a boxing anime... ippo is tough, respectful, and always ready to learn, very easy going guy, he doesn't let anything bother him...

the black moore is named pesche - it means fish in Italian

Oranda: Miso which is a japanese soup which I may add is rather delicious! I named him because of bronze color which reminds me oddly of Miso soup. Also the name goes well on both genders. (I used to named him Muse but I changed to Miso)

Fantail: My newest little buddy of the tank that I named Tofu. It came to me since Miso soup has Tofu in it. Tofu is orange and white but I think he is turning all orange. He's very very tiny and VERY friendly too! When I purchased him he was rather scared but now he's warmed up to me, his home and Miso.

Miso and Tofu. =D

Guest Melodium

Da Vinci the shubunkin-

Sooo, we were looking at Da Vinci's markings and realized that he looked like a real piece of art. To go with a theme, we named him Da Vinci... His former friend (who has now sadly passed on) was named Picasso. They were the "art twins" together.

((The truth is that Da Vinci's marking look like Hitler's hair part and mustache... In other words, we went in the opposite direction for a more positive name.))

Nameless the one-eyed black moor-

My one-eyed black moor has been impossible for me to name. So, we decided on Nameless. Mind you, not because we're too lazy to pick a name, but because no name fits. Nameless is also in honor of the anonymous writers throughout history.

'Near' is the name of a character from a manga I had been reading called 'Death Note', he's my favourite character - he's got white hair and wears all white clothes. I got a white fish and I thought... oooh, it's Near in fish form!

fish names just seem to pop in my head upon seeing the fish.....

:D

well....i guess i'll start from the begining....

1. Ishie the orange common (gimme' a break, i was only 3 years old :P ) >>because it ryhmed w/ 'fishie'

2. Callie the calico fantail ( what an oh so original name, lol, but she was my bestest pal and i miss her so much :( ) >>prolly cause she was a 'calico'...

3. Porkchop the orange lionhead, Callie's partner in crime... :heart >>why 'porkchop'? because he was the chunkiest little fish EVER.

4. Charlamagne (or charlie) the blue lionhead/ranchu>> because....it seems to suit him :)

5. Buckets the red and white telescope >> why? because once again thats the name that suited her :heart

5. Leonerd the calico telescope>> because the name seems to suit how awkward he looked when i first got him, but he seems to be filling out a bit....i wouldn't doubt if he was as big as Buckets in a few months :blink:

6. and lastly, Chutney, my beautiful chocolate oranda (whom i love so dearly)>>why chutney? because once again, it suited the fish.

:D:heart

Hey Callie is Chutney one of your new fish for your 100 gals? Oooooooh you are soooo lucky to have 100 gallons!!

I'm getting a new fish for my Birthday, gonna have to come up with a new name!

My sister bought goldies year ago and gave them all names from sitcom's (Seinfield and Third Rock From the Sun). Most of them died, but when I started caring for her tank I still had George. We then bought Jerry and Elaine to keep him company :)

George passed away last year, but I bought another to replace him, that's where my demekin gets his name. I still have Elaine.

My third goldfish is named Fredrick. I was supposed to move to Fredrickton (a city) for the semester this winter and I didn't really want to go. When I found out I didn't have to, I bought a goldie to celebrate and that's how my pearlie got his name!

Zebra was named because he had a bit of black on him that looked like a stripe.

Kung-fu was given his name because he didn't really have anything special about him, so his name had to be special.

Antoine has a mustache, and so he became a french fish. xD

Flash, my shubbie---I named her that because when I come to feed her she just darts around the tank in a "flash".

Bubbles, my oranda---Just because the name seemed to suit it.

Stitch, my orange comet---Was named after one of the characters in the SciFi Channels sequel to "The Wizard Of Oz"

Ziggy, my sarasa---After the cartoon figure

Ollie, my black moor---Because I saw a picture of a black moor on some website that was called "Ollie" and thought it was cool

Lefty, my babie shubbie---Was a Wally World rescue. He has no right fin to swim with but he does just find without it and competes equally with the others.

Akira, my red/white ryukin---Because I decided I wanted to start naming some of my goldies Asian names. Akira is Japanese meaning bright; clear; dawn. Well, s/he is a very brilliant red. A brighter red then any of my other fish and I simply just like the sound of the name.

I have several other babies that are of yet nameless. I've picked out some cool sounding asian names but haven't quite decided who gets what name. Since they're all two inches and under, I'm kind of waiting for more of their individual personalities to show before assigning names. I have to admit I'm getting ansy to name them and will probably cave before they get any older. LOL

Edited by shubunkin lover

oh i've got some more fishie names to add too!

shubbie- Chinook- idk....i heard it somewhere and liked it

common- Frodo- just kinda happened lol

common- Snowflake- he's all white!

comet- Cherry Pie- cuz he's red and white and because i was thinking of cherry pie at the time

comet- Z- i already explained this on my topic lol, my bro called himself M for who knows what reason so i told him to call me da big Z and fishie is kinda like little Z lol

oranda- Zap- i thought it was a cute name for him

new tropicals

white skirt tetra- Whitey-he's white

black skirt tetra- Blackey- he's black lol

oto catfish- Otto- i have no idea......lol

green tigerbarb- Odyssea- seemed to match him

albino tigerbarb- Kameko- had some kind of meaning in japanese cuz he was really lucky to survive his "condition"

female betta- Flake- i was looking at a can of fish flakes

african dwarf frogs- Pepsi and Coke- i've always wanted to name a pet pair that!!lol

Everybody has such great fishy names! :)

My red/black oranda is named Professor Mooshu Koriyana.

I call him professor because it looks like he has an orange monocle over one eye... Mooshu because it's fun to say... and I also wanted his last name to have a little bit of history so I thought Koriyana was fitting seeing as though it has been a famous breeding center for goldies for over 500 years.

I also call him my little linebacker because it looks like he wears orange "eye black" like the football players. (He's got a lot of character!)

Mooshu has a tank buddy applesnail named Sergeant Peppers... and before Sergeant Peppers was Admiral Archie (but he passed on about a month ago :( ).

Sometimes I look at the name tag on the person helping me if they were real nice. What ever name is on their tag I'll name my fish that. I have so many I have to be creative. LOL

Carrie

This is a great thread...I loved all the descriptions...got to the 4th page...and could not resist posting how my baby got her name... :exactly

Well..when I absolutely had no idea of keeping fish like a couple of years..I had this beautiful calico fantail..I had him in a 3 gallon bowl.. :( ...I hate myself for that till date..

Obviously, she blew bubbles..kind of gasping for air...my boyfriend named him Bubbles because of that..I loved the name..I loved her totally..I was always on top of water changes..but of course she had to die cos she was in a bowl... :cry1 ..Was with me for a little over a year...

I owed it to her..and so I decided the next fish will get a big tank..I got my red cap oranda in April 2008...she is cute...I would always call her baby names..like honey bunny, pumpkin, baby doll..and while I was just appreciating her I simply said, "She is an angel..She is my Sunshine"..and there :bingo: I named her Sunshine.. :heart ..just out of nowhere.. :D

Sunshine lives in a 20 gallon tank with a Penguin 200...I will always miss my Bubbles....

Oh..and the new fish I got...I had to return..cos Sunshine was getting bullied by him...I was really heart broken to give him up..but I got too protective of Sunshine..but not to worry..I made sure the lfs dont treat him bad...the guy floated his bag and put him back in the tank for sale...he assured he ll be there..I hope he gets a good home...

Edited by SunshineGurl

Oh dear lots of fish, most of which are pre-Kokos and thus, deceased.... but, anyway... D=deceased

D Scooter: common goldfish so named because she scooted around the pond so fast.

D Skeeter: comet goldfish, just sounded good with Scooter.

D Davis: sarasa comet, named to go with Skeeter as in Skeeter Davis, who was a pretty famous female singer in the 60s.

D Pinto: shubukin so named because she looked like a pinto horse

D Seizunsha: sarasa comet, seizunsha means survivor in japanese. this fish jumped out of my pond and layed there for who knows how long. survived a bout of columnaris as a result and, thus, earned the name.

D Fats Domino: panda oranda so named because she was fat and black and white like a domino.

D Apricot: orange and white pearlscale so named because her she had a creamy orange color like an apricot.

D Leroy: white and red ryukin so named because he sat front and center in the middle of the tank all the time like a king on a throne and Leroy is the American version of Le Roi, which in French means The King.

Buddy Blue: blue oranda so named because he's a blue oranda and he is just a lover and wants to be everyone's buddy.

D Tigerlily: calico fantail, just looked like a tigerlily flower.

Peaches: orange lionhead, he's just a peachy sort of color.

Jackson: calico ryukin so named because he looks like an abstract painting done by Jackson Pollock.

:heart Hitomi, the fishy love of my life, Hitomi is a japanese name that means big beautiful eyes (for a baby girl human with very pretty eyes) and Hitomi is a beautiful Blackmoor with his lovely buggy eyes, I couldn't find any name more fitting for a fish I love so much. Even though I think Hitomi is supposed to be a girls name, noone in my family knows that, so it doesn't matter what he turns out to be.

:cry1 Mickey (passed on) Was another Black moor I had a long time ago when I was dumb and kept him in a 1g bowl, because i didn't know any better, I feel so guilty about it now, I named him because his face was a little faded silvery white so I though he kind of looked like Mickey mouse, black with a light face.

:cry1 Bubbles (passed on) was my cousins fish who suffered the same fate as Mickey, we got them as gifts with the aquariums and everything included, we changed the water every other day, but it obviously wasn't enough. Bubbles was a bubble eye, that's the only reason he got that name.

:yeah: Nemo and Marlin (moved into a Koi Pond) two common feeder/bait fish I rescued and then let my uncle have for his koi pond, I just liked the movie Finding nemo at the time, both were all orange/red.

:yeah: Magikarp, ShinyMagikarp, and BabyGyarados (moved into the koi pond) 3 more feeder/baits I rescued again that also went into the koi pond Magikarp was bright orange, Shiny magikarp was all white with yellow lips, and baby gyarados was white with red spots, I like pokemon and just came up with the names real quick.

Well, my fish usually get their names within the first 30 of being in the tank. Generally based on their behavior. I will name them in the order I got them.

Columbus - he was the first to explore the decorations and just be out and about in the tank.

Hoover - He is a pig, he leaves no stone, crevis, or grain of sand untouched trying to find food. (Hoover like the vaccume)

Oreck (deceased) - He was my little CAE that I beleive starved to death or cought something from my next fish. (Oreck also like the vaccume0

Goldie (deceased) - She was actually a gold fish, I didn't name this one. Lost early on due to inexperience and I believe was sick when I brought her home.

The Cories - Thats what I call them because I cannot really tell them apart. I do know I 2 males and 4 females

Chopper (Took back to store, he was a fin nipper) - He would sit there and his fins would get faster and faster till he finally took off like. It was so funny.

Twitch - Sometimes it looks like he twitches.

Mr. Snail - I don't know, I just started calling him Mr. Snail and it stuck

Mr. Pleco - My Rubberlip Pleco doesn't really have a name. I hardly ever see him out, when I do see him I say "Hey look, Mr. Pleco is out"

i have a loooong list:

cujo (deceased): my first betta...pretty aggressive little guy

wellington: my current betta...named for arthur wellesly (1st duke of wellington) awesome military commander..i'm a history nerd

telly monster: black moor - one of my first rescues...named for sesame street

wanda: white comet - came with telly so of course had to name w/ the sesame street theme

barkley: orange and white comet - came with telly too..sesame street

big bird: orange common - obviously part of the sesame street gang

piglet: overweight orange fantail

princess buttercup: yellow/white calico fantail - from princess bride

luigi: calico bubble eye - he has a mustache and my roommate is a nintendo freak

bubba: black bubble eye - slow and lumbering...like bubba on forest gump

moo: red/white fantail - reminds me of cow spots

preschool: calico oranda - who else could get paint all over themselves but a preschooler? ;)

sixpack (deceased): an orange/red oranda - he literally had a sixpack on his head...

Guest rachiru

I have one little pipsqueak of an Oranda, and her name is Peanut :) She is growing steadily, I can't wait until the name is ironic XD

I have two koi inside my house right now, waiting for their pond to get finished. The boy is Magnus, and the girl is Adelene. Me and my boyfriend named them frilly/epic names, in hopes they will someday be giant and live up to them. They are only 5"-6" right now, but growing everyday!

Peanut's tank mates recently passed, they were two tiny fantails. They were named Tangerine and Disco, but something in the tank didn't sit right with them and they didn't make it :/ I'm looking into some chocolate oranda (so pretty!) to keep Peanut company, and my local nnnn with a decent fish record just got a bunch in :)

Guest Orandaa

I've got 4...

Orange Ryukin - "Dusty" - Part of the Smashing Pumpkins song The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete

Orange Ryukin - "Pistol Pete" - The other half! They kinda look identical, so I say they're brothers! :D

Black Moor - "Garrisen" - Don't get offended... but one of my friends is really black and as a joke I named my fish after him haha, he's cool with it!

Orange and White Lionhead - "Barkley" - Not really sure... he looks like a Barkley lol

I have 8 female goldies, all rescues.

A very unique coloured tripod tail, see the avatar: Quasi as her tail is 'almost' double

A very big Sarassa comet: Godzilla as she was huge compaired to the others

To almost identical orange comets: Fred and Gigi, first I named them Fred and George after the Weasly twins, buth they are girls so George became Gigi

An orange comet with a white stripe: Sarge, don't know whether this is military correct ;)

A comet with orange and silver patches: Silver

And 2 tiny comets (they were less than an inch in total when I got them: Junior and Benja (short for Benjamin)

It would be realy funny when Junior and Benja one day might be bigger than Godzilla :rofl

Well, they are mostly random. I get to name all the fish at work, even if they aren't really mine.

Large orange fantail = France. He simply looks french. 18th century french.

Orange/white fantail = Pigeon. When we got him he was very small (just as big as France now) so we named him Pigeon.

Tricolor telescope = Ophelia (or Ophie). I was thinking about English. The name stuck.

i named my fantail Kamikaze because when i walked over to her tank she'd stop still and float to the top like she'd just popped her clogs and i kept thinking she was dead lol i was told she was ill but..nope guess she just likes playing dead :D haha

popped her clogs
:tomuch: I do so love UK slang! It's great!