Sign in to follow this  
Jack of Hearts

Your Goldfish's Name...

I noticed that some of you guys have pretty cool or unusual names for your goldies. Is there a story or reason behind it? Of course there is! Please share it with us! :)

I'll start...

My Ryukin's name is Jack of Hearts. Of course we just call him Jack for short.

I named him this for the following reasons.

1. His body is shaped exactly like a heart. He is as tall(high) as he is long. If you took a Heart and tilted on its side, the pointy side is his head, he has the two round curves like a heart for a rear end.

2. In the game of cards, the suit "Jack of Hearts" is also known as the "One Eyed Jack", because he is facing sideways and you can only see one eye. When we first got Jack, we thought he only had one eye as he had a black patch over his right eye. Later on, we realized that he does have a fully functioning eye under the black(but clear) lens cover. It is really hard to see and we didn't notice it until we had him for over a month. But by then, we had already named him Jack of Hearts.

3. My Jack has a pencil thin mustache just like the Jack of Hearts in the Trump Card! It's actually a thin black mark on his mouth but amazingly looks just like a pencil thin mustache!

4. He is Dark Orange and White just like the color of the Heart Card.

So I really couldn't think of any more appopriate name for him than "Jack of Hearts"! :D

kewl! :)

errrm i dont think i have any named like that.. Emsley was the cutest unisex name i could find (didnt know if he was a he!), and was voted by koko'ers!

Devereaux... oh yea! she had a little black spot on her tail (unfortunatly was ammoina burn and has gone now) but it looked like a beauty spot and that makes me think 'french' and devereaux sounds french.. so thats what it was! and it was also unisex as i wasnt gender sure!

Tuesday was bought on a tuesday lol

and Mouschi was one of my first two goldies, Mouschi and Boche.. named after reading anne frank (her cats!)

omg iv just realised Boche is still alive, living at my old school :(

:D Now thats really interesting finding out how you came up with the names.

Dylan, he is named after Bob Dylan , I wanted to call my daughter Dylan but hubby wasn't having any of it so I gave the name to one of my watery babies.

Pablo, ( Black Moor) named after Pablo Escabar a worldly Villian cause he's dark mysterious and hard to catch.

Ryukin: Pointy - he reminded me of a little arrow. Hubby wanted to name him ThatWAY:P hehe which actually is kinda funny.

Oranda: Orando - hubby named him.

Comet: Cleo - after Cleopatra - just seemed like a perfect name for him (and I say HIM now lol - its a boy but I swore it was a girl

White Lionhead: Porkchop - because she's so chubby

Ranchu - Peep II - Named after my first little guy that looked just like him - Peep the first didn't make it through the night because he was soooo tiny and I was inexperienced and put him in my tank with my bigger guys. So my new ranchu just seemed like a perfect little guy to carry the name.

Black Moore: Spooky - just because he blends sooooo darn well in with the black backround. I can search and search for him, not see him, then all of a sudden he will be right before my eyes.

Magenta/Purple Male Betta: Razzy - because his colouring just seemed raspberryish to me, and the tank he used to be in was all ]dark pink and pink decor.

Blue Betta: Gil - named after the goldfish in the movie WHAT ABOUT BOB. He just looked like a Gil.

Some of my fish that have past on:

Homer the pleco, Noname the calico, Dory the Fantail, Sharkbait the fantail, and Peep the oranda.

Guest greenhands

Alan: I wanted to give him a normal name. That policy didn't last.

Rocky: His mouth is crooked, it just immediately reminded me of Stallone's mug when he's grimacing.

Mr. Peepers: He's a celestial... I think it's self explanatory ;)

Oh this is neat!! I like reading these!! :)

My Red Oranda (Big Boy) At 1st he was Groucho cause of neat black markings....all black went away & he kept getting bigger.....well you know!

Ryukin(Stubbie) short tail

Fantails (Willy & Nilly) they are always wiggling all over the place

Fantail (Frilly) real long tail

Common (Spot) white w/ orange spot

3 albino corycats(Busy, Busybee & Busybody) :lol1 I can't tell which is which!

(I would like to see a picture of POINTY!! My Ryukin is kinda like an arrow pointer too! :rofl )

Edited by Jeana727

Fantail: Dorothy after Dorothy the goldfish on Elmo's World on Sesame Street (got her for my daughter when she was 9 months old and LOVED Dorothy the fish on Elmo's world).

Ryukin: Shoomey--a name totally made up by my 2 yr old boy. We got the fish for him and I told him he could name it. I asked him what his fishies name was and he said "Shoomey". So that was it.

The name fairy comes everyonce in a while and whispers a name in my ear. I swear it! Thats how I came up with Sil-Sil* (was a bearded dragon) and Hershey (golden retriever)

Orchard: My dark red betta. His colors were so earthy and his temperment so sweet it reminded me of an apple orchard. He was in bad condition when I brought him home so he deserved a beautiful name.

Sweetie/Baby/Sugar*: my first little goldfish. She was a baby moor and I rescued her from a science project at school poor thing. I never really thought of a name for her, I just called her a bunch of baby names.

Kissy*: He was a blue and pearl colored telescope, and even tho I only had him for a couple days, I bonded the deepest with him. He was very interactive with me and always swam into my hand and attacked me with kisses.

Lucky*: He was an orange comet I won at the fair. He was lucky enough to come home with me, but only to die in peaceful clean water. He was so stressed and sick from the feeder tank and the fair, poor thing

Macy*: Mmm just thought of it. She was an orange and white lionhead

Oliver*: Just thought of that one too. He was Macy's brother and was also orange and white

Odie: Odie is...I dunno what he is! He's got a comet body, telescope eyes, and scissor like butterfly tail. Matte white with black patches outlined in orange and a few necreous scales. Anyways, I just thought of that one.

Mica: She's a ribbontailed fantail that is orange and white. She has the most beautiful tail..she needed a pretty name to match.

Ruby: the black neon. Just thought of it

Rummert: My friend actually thought of that one. She's very much on the strange side and I almost never take names from other people, but I really liked this one.

*= not with me anymore

I name mine by what they look like or what fits them. I have had some fish for a long time without names because I cant find one to suit them.

Most of my fish have food names! lol. Ill post the picture I did, you have to see that. I believe niblet is in that photo, but he is no longer with us. My cat decided to go fishing.

Then I also have Lacy, a black moor with an odd tail that looks like ribbons and lace. And my other moor, Lucky, named so because he lived through a horrible cat-attack, and has the scar to prove it. Mutt is a very odd looking fantail. His colors keep changing and he has the most unusual markings! His tail currently has neat oval patterns on them that make them look like butterfly wings.

Oh and my single tailed fish! Almost forgot. Peewee is a teeny all white common. About one inch. My shubunkin is Lily because she's pretty like a flower. Then there is Yen and Zoom, named by my husband, because of the fast way they swim around the tank. But when you say "yen" you have to make it sound like a racecar passing you! lol.

Here are some of the others....

post-6615-1132895473_thumb.jpg

Edited by gia_ekdahl

This is awesome!

Here are a few of mines names:

Roberta~ named because when I bought her, she was a red capped oranda and just made me think of a big woman with red hair named Roberta LOL *she has gotten rounder, but she has turned a bit more orange on her body*

Popcorn ~ when I first got him, the girl at the store couldn't catch him, and when she put him in teh bag he kept ramming the side of it, and on the car ride home he did it more! LOL I had to hold him in my lap while I drove, and it just reminded me of a bag of Popcorn

Lil Spooky ~ his right eye is underdeveloped and has a silver speck instead of the eye, and he was VERY small when I got him *nooppee rescue, got him for $1 cuz of his eye*

Eyesaac ~ I named him that to spite an ex-boyfriend of mine who I was still friends with LOL cuz when he was younger people would call him eye-sac :) *Eyesaac has since passed on, he was one of my 1st gf, and survived through a lot...he made it to 1 1/2 yrs*

Thats all I can think of right now

(I would like to see a picture of POINTY!! My Ryukin is kinda like an arrow pointer too!  :rofl   )

Hehehe - well Jeanna, we hope to have a digi cam by Christmas, so you know I'll be taking fishy pictures like a mad woman!!!! :rofl

Fantail: Dorothy after Dorothy the goldfish on Elmo's World on Sesame Street (got her for my daughter when she was 9 months old and LOVED Dorothy the fish on Elmo's world).

My kids watch Elmo's world often, and it wasn't until the end of the other day when I noticed that Elmo's fish was an oranda!! LoL I could have swore that he was a regular goldfish. He's kept in a fish bowl, but at least they know enough to keep the water level low so as to get the maximum air surface availible. :P

Dorothy's an oranda?! :thud I thought he was a common goldfish too :D

:rolleyes: I have way too many fish to explain where/why they got their names,but I will say that the name just suddenly comes to me.I'm never very good at helping people come up with a name for that very same reason. :lol: I've had fish that I've named in minutes,but I've also had fish that were here a year,and still don't have a name for them.If it doesn't come to me,I'll wait,because at some point it will. ;)

When I got my first tank I had two fish. Lucy and Desi. We got 2 more, Fred and Ethel. All but Desi died, and I tried a few more times for a Lucy - Who's name has now been offically retired since Lucy keeps dying. :blink:

In the 50 gallon tank, we seem to have a music theme going. Desi, Elton, Cass (after Mama Cass) and Lil Ricky (he played bongo's! ;) )

Then we have the Israel Tank. Golda, Meir, Schlomo, and our two albino frogs Mazel and Tov.

Our biblical 20 Gallon with Jonah and Noah.

We have our 12 gallon with Glen Fry, Hermie the Hemphrodite and a new rescued feeder as yet unnamed

And last but not least, a 10 gallon Pigmy Puffer tank with Harpo, Chico, Zeppo and Groucho in it. :yeah:

No clue how we came up with the names. It sorta just happened..........

Homer the pleco

434224[/snapback]

omg i had a plec called Homer! :D

..Jeana, am i going mad.. or is the goldie in your avatar winking at me :blink:

Edited by x-Lucy-Fish-x

Guest Dipsy

Great idea for a thread!

My Girlfriend bought me my two fantails for a moving in present when I got my first house a year ago. She's a big Harry Potter fan and as both fish were gold they were named Fred and George after the Weasley twins.

One was more curious, so he became George, and the quieter one became Fred.

Both are growing like mad, and in need of a new tank so methinks they'll be getting a better Christmas present than me!

Pictures of my boys are up in my album, but I don't know if others can access them or not...

Yea, he's winking!

My Fantail Cracker was actually nameless for weeks after I got her. When I bought her she was as big as a Pepperidge Farm Goldfish cracker, in a tank all by her lonesome at mmm. She had been there by herself the last time I was there-- two weeks earlier. So, I made a poll about what to name her and everyone liked the name Cracker and it stuck. But her next tank buddy will be Tye, regardless of gender.... Unless attitude says otherwise.

Wow you guys are so creative! Some of the reasons of how our goldies got their names are absolutely hilarious! :rofl

We want to hear more! Maybe some pics too! :exactly

Cool thread! ^_^

Lets see

Whirlwind-My common.When I first bought him he swam around in circles alot making be think of a Whirlpool.So I thought I'd name him Whirlwind.(He was one of my first gf)

Aqua-My comet.Really,no reason ^_^ We just did :)

Piero-My fantail.My brother called him that because he is Calico and it reminded him of lava and stuff like that

Seraphim-My Ryukin.I named her that because her tail reminded me of something like an angel wing.So I thought than name would suit her.

Ninja-My Black Moor.My mom named him that because he was black like some Ninja suits ^_^

Uppercut-My other fantail and one of my oldest fish along with Whirlwind.We named her that because when we first got her,she used to dart to the surface-Or,it could have been bad water quality(she was one of my first gf)

I name mine by what they look like or what fits them. I have had some fish for a long time without names because I cant find one to suit them.

Most of my fish have food names! lol. Ill post the picture I did, you have to see that. I believe niblet is in that photo, but he is no longer with us. My cat decided to go fishing.

Here are some of the others....

434364[/snapback]

OMG that's sooo cute! I like how the red cap matches the peppermint. :rofl

I enjoyed reading this thread so I thought I'd add mine...

Fanny = my fan tail. I couldn't come up with a creative name so you can fill in the blanks as to where I got her name :)

Zip = my black moor. He's always zipping around the tank. First it was due to the whole pet store - home environment but now he's settled in and he still likes to zip around.

Shyster = my black moor. He's SHY! Gosh I've never seen such a shy fish before. When anyone or any fish comes near him, he'll run to the nearest plant and hide.

Bubbles = my bubble eye. You can probably tell by now I'm not very creative :rofl

Trog Dor = my black moor. He's the biggest moor I have and my friend named him that so I have no idea where he pulled the name out from.

Daniel = my common pleco (soon to be rehomed :( ) .. also named by a friend.

XP = my betta. Named after the windows operating system.

Linux = my betta...well if there's an XP there's just gotta be a Linus :lol:

Pokey = my betta. My first two pair of bettas consisted of a red betta and a blue betta - standard common pet store type betta. I named one Hokey and the other Pokey. Yup! Then I could say to people that they're "The Hokey Pokey" :rofl Anyways, Hokey died due to dropsy so now I only have Pokey.

How my Oranda got the name Sash(rhymes with Gosh)

This is kind of embarrasing now but... :rolleyes:

About three years ago before I had any interest in Goldfishes, I agreed to take care of my friend's two goldfishes while she went on vacation. I asked her what their names were and she said they had no names. Since she told me the goldfishes were Japanese, I told her to name them Sash & Imi. Which of course is derived from Sashimi. I said it as a joke but she liked it and named the Orange Oranda "Sash" & the Red Cap Oranda "Imi".

Anyway, as you guys probably guessed, I ended up really getting attached to them. So much so that she ended up getting me my own Orange Oranda, Ryukin, and a tank for Christmas. She told me to name the Orange Oranda "Sash" in memory of her original "Sash" who had recently passed away. I of course named the Ryukin "Jack of Hearts" as I mentioned in the original post of this thread.

So my Oranda was stuck with a name that was originally meant as a joke. :(

I would have named him Duran Duran because his wen looks just like those perfectly styled big hair that the band members sported in the 80s. :rofl

Trog Dor = my black moor. He's the biggest moor I have and my friend named him that so I have no idea where he pulled the name out from.

434787[/snapback]

Trog Dor!!!! Thats part of an online cartoon my bf showed me once. Its hillarious, I'll see if I can find it for you.

EDIT: I found it!! Here's Trogdor by homestar runner: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Edited by Kissy

wow! this is really intersting! I love reading stuff like this!

Lily: named her Tiger Lily b/c of her color, eventually shortened to just Lily

Pez-"fish" in spanish

Ryba-"fish" in bosnian/slovakian

Sakana-"fish" in japanese

Psa'Ri-"fish" in modern Greek

Kala-"fish" in finnish

Mahi-"fish" in persian

Balik-"fish" in Turkish

Fische-"fish" in german

Moses-we looked at him in the store and went "holy moses, look at color of that fish!" so he was dubbed moses

Machhli-"fish" in Urdu

Rocky-saw this one in the store with a rock stuck in his mouth, and took him home after the employee didnt know what to do about hte rock he had stuck

Zuvis-"fish" in lithuanian

all my bettas are named after our neighbors (Stanley, Alvin, and Donald)

My plecos are named after Vacuume cleaner brands (hoover and eureka)

the loaches are named snakey names (medusa and typhon, eel-y)

and the snails are all named slimey, snailey names to match their personalitise (speedy, slimer, boogie, baca, goo, squirt, apple, banana, brat, trouble, frank, and iris)