Littlefish13 needs help!

Guest littlefish13

Guest littlefish13

Please someone......anyone

My very special goldfish that I've had for.....we since he was and inch long and now his tail spans at least 6 inches....so a long time.....he's very important to me and I'm afraid he's dying.....He's missing scales and acting really weird......floating or dancing like free willy towards the surface of the water and just kinda swimming up and like that....he's been doing that for the past couple of days and at first i wasn't worried but now I'm scared..... he's missing so many scales and now his side and his tail appear to be spotted with blood......my aquarium is 55 gallons and I have one other male fish maybe a little bigger then him but he's a calico I also have a smaller female goldfish a sucker fish and a black moor......I love all my fish but this one fish, Angelous, is special....I've lost fish before but I can't loose him please if anyone knows what's wrong with him and how I can help him please help I'm afraid he doesn't have much time....Is he going to be alright?

Hi there, Littlefish 13, and :welcome !

To get a better picture of your routine and living conditions of your fish, there is a big red box on top of this section - can you please answer as many questions as you can?

If you don't have any water test kits for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates/pH, you can either get them at your local pet store, or bring them a sample of your water, and they can do it for you - usually for free.

My first guess would be the sucker fish did that. They can and will do extremely bad damage to goldfish, by sucking on their protective slime coat, and once that slime coat is penetrated, all kinds of parasites and bacteria can enter the fish's body and do harm. It is not recommended to have a pleco (another name for suckerfish) with goldfish, with just a few exceptions.

So, the best thing for your fish to do is isolate him from the rest of the crowd, especially that pleco. If you can, find a new home for the pleco. Unfortunately, the pleco will get more agressive with age, and they can get pretty big, do not shy away even from goldfish bigger their size.

The red markings on the body definetely indicate some bacterial problem going on there, and you would need something like Maracyn or Maracyn II for that. You can also put aquarium, rock, pickle or solar salt into the tank (not regular cooking salt), at a rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. Dissolve the salt in a container of tank water first to avoid burns on the fish. The salt will ease the stress on the fish and acts as a tonic for him.

PLease post back soon with the info from the red box. Hopefully we'll get your favorite fish all better... :)

Archived