Sign in to follow this  
Guest yabbie

10 Month Old Fry

Guest yabbie

My first batch of fry was born in Feb this year, and because the pond was already full, I brought them inside to raise them. The last few months they have all looked like little fish and I thought the developmental fun was over.

Half of them are Shibunkins so they'd coloured up really early, but now the other half are all busy changing colours too... and you won't believe the range of colours I'm getting!

Half of them are nymphs, fat-bodied, single-tailed, and I thought the metallics would come out just orange... Dad was a white fantail, Mums were shibunkin and an orange comet. Now... I'm getting metallic fish coming thru with spots and stripes!

Perhaps they are all shibunkin/white fantail crosses and the orange comets never got a look in. One of the shibunkin fry has even lost its black spots and is now orange all over with a white tail... I'd take photos but my camera was stolen.

My favourite fry... a nymph with a little fat body which is equal to the size of his large single tail, has got a vertical white stripe on his body and white stripes thru his fins and tail... he is still bronze everywhere else.

I've also got a 3 wk old batch of betta fry and do you know... they were practically born red! They are all swimming around now with fins and tails and starting to lose their tadpole shape already. They'll be adult shaped in another two weeks and full grown in three months... hard to believe how much faster they develop than the goldfish.

Oh, I'd like to see pics... :D

Guest yabbie

AND I'd like to take them. But unfortunately some airlines just let their cleaners take home lost property instead of handing it in for collection by the passenger who was sitting in the seat where it was found.

Developing decent ethics amongst your staff would be a good way to promote a high quality airline... what a shame a major international airline that costs a little more than the budget ones couldn't get that right. Grrrrrrr!

wow...I knwo my goldfish fry have turned into interesting colors...jsut wish there would get big fast....lol

Guest yabbie

The freeze-dried blood worms helped mine grow a bit faster. I tried live worms but they were a bit ignorant that those squirmy chunky things might be edible. Some sort of microworm moved into the gravel and got a bit out of control at one stage tho, so I just stirred that up a couple of times a day and they got some live food.

I'd been feeding them powdered fd bloodworms (ground up with a spoon) and then moved onto just grinding them up underwater with my fingers. They still get fd bloodworms in the morning and in the evening they get slightly mangled orange gf flake. I used to grind that up into a powder for them too when they were smaller.

Mine did start out slow growing but they steamed ahead once they were old enough for the ground up fd bloodworms.

Now there are 9 survivors from a hatch of about 90(?) who are 10 months old (they started off in an uncycled punchbowl). I've only lost one in the last five months and it had SBD as a young fry and hadn't grown since it recovered and I think just got mistaken for food by a big brother.

Guest yabbie
My favourite fry... a nymph with a little fat body which is equal to the size of his large single tail, has got a vertical white stripe on his body and white stripes thru his fins and tail... he is still bronze everywhere else.

433975[/snapback]

Black and white... he's gone black and white... I swear! From a white fantail and a shibunkin I have a panda-coloured nymph!

(PS. I know I'm talking to myself... I'm the only one who understands...)

I love pandas! :heart Too bad you can't post pics....I would love to see your frys :(

Guest yabbie

Everyday he gets darker and his white patches get bigger. I'll have to take a photo with my slr in case he goes all white like his dad!

Guest yabbie

Well the panda didn't stay panda, he went back to white but he did inspire another fish to attempt orange with a black top after being olive for so long.

I think they are all part shibunkin. Finally here are the photos to show you their odd colours.

Sorry about the acrylic tub

DSC00112.JPG

DSC00111.JPG

DSC00113.JPG

DSC00115.JPG

awww, they're so cute :heart:D I love that one with the white body and the orange rear. The big black/yellow-orange one is really pretty to :D

What a great variety of colors!!

I'm glad you could finally post some pics.

Thanks for sharing!! :heart

Guest cak51
:) It's neat seeing what my babies might look like in a few months. There are still scads of them in the plastic shoebox. I can't wait until I can move them to a real fish tank so I can see them better. Thank you for the pictures. I'm so glad my daughter told me to look up Koko's.