Sign in to follow this  
Guest fantail_luver

Ph Of My Tap Water

Guest fantail_luver

hello I have a question:) The ph of my tap water is 8.2 and the buffering capacity is 60 ppm, but sometimes it drops to 30 ppm. (I don't know why?) Is there any way i can raise the buffering capacity without raising the ph also?

Is it ok to lower the pH in your particluar case? Aquarium Pharmeceuticals sells pH down and up formulas that lower or raise pH.

The ph of my tap water is 8.2 and the buffering capacity is 60 ppm, but sometimes it drops to 30 ppm. (I don't know why?)

Is you tap water changing or do you notice a difference in the kh of your tank compared to the kh from the tap?

If it is a difference in your tap, what is you supply: well or municipal? kh is decrease by organics decomposing causing buffering to be used to offset the acids produced. In water supplies, the buffering can also change depending on conditions so if you have had a hard rain or no rain at all, this can cause a change in the composition of your water.

I would be very careful using the ph up and down as they are quick fixes that can cause you ph to fluctuate if not watched.

I do not know the solution to your problem as I have hard water and high ph (8.0). What you might try is to get a bucket and battery powered pump and try adding baking soda to the water to increase your buffering and see what effect this has on your ph. 60 is not bad but 30 could lead to a swing in ph.

As for a ph 8.2, though not the ideal ph for goldfish, your fish will be fine as long as this ph is steady.

I hope this information is helpful!!

Have a great day!!

a pH of 8.2 is fine for goldies as long as the water is well buffered and has a dKH above 4 or about 80ppm you should be fine.

To increase your buffering you can add a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda per 10 gallons which will increase the KH about 60-80ppm. You can make this a habit by preparing your change water with baking soda also. In experiments pond keepers have increased KH in some ponds to 5000 or so with no ill effects so a small amount is perfectly safe.

Kevin

Oh wow! Thanks Kevin, that info helps me too! I was wondering how to keep the kH the same with change water...I didn't know you could add baking soda directly to it...

I think I'm going to try this, because my kH is low too, and my pH is high, and I want to put live plants in my tank...I'm afraid of the carbonate effect (whatever it is, I read about it once) but it seems like it is more dangerous with the conditions that my tank has...

Just to recap.....with a pH of 8.2 (could be 8.3?) if you buffer your change water with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda per 10 gallons you'll get an increase in KH of around 2-3 points which isn't a bad margin for saftey. If you wish to increase GH without increasing KH or pH you can use epsom salts at 1 tsp per 10 gallon to increase the hardness by 4-5dGH but this shouldn't actually be necessary.

Now for the good thing if you were to overdose the baking soda by a factor of 10 you would have a huge increase in kH but the pH will not go above 8.3! bicarbonate of soda buffers the pH right at 8.3 so it's great insurance against pH crashes due to the nitrifying process of the biological filter. Like anything else keep an eye on it till you have a good feel for the habits of your own enclosed ecosystem.

Kevin

Never having messed with a heavily planted tank I can't offer advice on optimum dosing levels of buffers but I do know that some plants like a fair amount of alkilinity as well as lots of trace elements .

cheers

Kevin