Is He Dead?

kila

I bought an apple snail online and he arrived today. Due to the rubbish postal system he took a week to arrive. He was very well packed and in a plastic tub surrounded by damp packing floss and the tub was insulated with shredded paper. However, I think he's dead. I've had him in the tub inside the tank with some aqaurium water for a few hours now and there's no movement at all. His "door" isn't closed at the beginning of the shell but it quite retracted......I mean the about half way up into the shell, and he kind of smells bit. Also he's floating.

What do you think?

Guest fancy_fish_lover

From my experience with apple snails being posted they can take up to 12 hours to finally open up depending how long they've been in the post.

The unfortunate point from your end is that it smells - generally from experience that means it may have passed away. I've heard that if you can push 'the door' and it moves it also means it may have died.

Hopefully this is not the case for you,

Lu

You could try holding him up to the light. If his shell is transparent enough, you should be able to see a heartbeat/pulse. Im not liking the sound of that smell tho. But perhaps its just normal snail smell. A dead snail smell is usually pretty pungeant. Give it a few hours. When I got my first shippment of snails, two of them didn't emerge for almost 24 hours.

You also might want to take a look at your dealer. Most of the really reputable ones that I know of will send a couple of extras in the event of the one you ordered's passing... Also, the good dealers will try to ship the fastest way possible despite cost (usually within two days) But thats just my experiences... Im sure it is possible for them to be a good dealer without those added features. Just something to think about tho for next time.

Keep us posted and good luck with snaily. :)

Guest RaceFaceR1

I would wait it out a bit... Apple snails are weird sometimes... But usualy when a snail smell really bad means they are dead :(

Good luck and let us know! Hopefully he's ok...

Marc

Thanks for you replies guys. No movement as yet but the travelling could have had a huge effect on him...poor thing. He doesn't smell too bad now, just a little fishy smell but now that he's out of his packing he smells ok! What do you think of him being retracted half way up into the shell? When my other guy closes up, his door closes at the entrance to the shell, he never withdraws more than half way up into it!! I gave the "door" a little prod with a straw but it's shut very tightly with no movement. I'll let you know how he gets on. Fingers crossed.

If he doesn't stink to high22 then he's probably alive. The smell of dead snail is unmistakable. I have a snail that draws up half way into its shell whenever I have to move it a lot and it gets jarred around a bit.

:unsure: So how's your snail buddy doing? Any movement on his part yet? I've allready had snails take a couple days to come out believe it or not.I kept wanting to fish themm out,but they didn't smell,so I patiently waited...Low and behold,they were alive. :lol: Hope yours is too!

No movement yet. It's been about 26 hours.

Poor little guy, I really hope he's alive. I'm going to be too afraid, even if it's a few weeks to get rid of him because I'll always wonder....what if.....he'll probably still be here in a year stinking ot high heaven!!

I'll certainly let you know if he comes round. X

You could try warming the water up a little bit gradually. (What temp IS your tank at, because if its too cold for them, they will go into hybernation mode, and spend a whole lot of their time in their shell) If you try the raising temp thing, mabey he could go in a smaller tank by himself so as to not disturb your other tank mates??

Also, try putting some tasty food next to his shell. That always wakes up all of my guys.

Now if those dont work, I would think by Thursday it would be safe to say he didn't make it. :(

~Shawna~

Tank temperature is 76F so that should be warm enough for the little guy. Still nothing, I'm thinking the worst. Tried the food idea, he ain't coming out! I'll keep you posted and many thanks for all replies.

I'd give him time, and lots of if. I had a snail stay shut tight in her shell for 2 solid weeks floating around, but then emerge and start sliming around quite happily afterwards. Keep an eye(or nostril) on the smell, and see if his trapdoor is shut tright or if its loose, thats always another good clue :) good luck :)

Just to let you know that the little guy didn't make it. He started to stink really badly and I had to admit that he was gone.

Thanks for all of your advice. You all are, as ever, a great source of help and hope.

Archived