Dropsy?

Guest equuleus54

Guest equuleus54

Hey all,

My Tank is 65 Gallons, with three goldies. ALl my levels are great, low nitrate, no nitrite, no ammonia, ph of about 7. My temp is about 71, and I use a ehim cannister filter. I do a 25% vacume once a week, change my filter floss once and month and charcol every three weeks.

My other two goldies are big and healthy but my one very high hump Ryunkin looks really bad. My big goldie is about three years old and recently went into heat (two months ago) and was bugging Melvin (the one that is sick now) all the time. Eventually he stopped, but the past month, her belly has been getting more and more swollen. This morning I woke up to find her scales are protruding and some llok like they are turning into fungus or something. She also is very constipated. i don't know if I should feed her peas or it's a parasite, or dropsy, or what. I went to a a fish store and they said that dropsy never gets better and the best thing to do is to euthanize before she really starts to suffer.

I'm sorry I can't provide a picture but my camera is really bad and they all tun out bluring. Help soon please.

Thanks,

K

Hi K, and :welcome !

It sure sounds like dropsy, but there is help, especially if treated fast. One fast question - did you do a water change just before the swelling started? Some dropsy attacks come on when the temperature from the new water is different than the tank temperature. There are quite some sensitive fish out there that get a dropsy attack every time the water temps are just a tad off. I had one fish like that, and so far he had dropsy 3 times.

Either way, the best thing to do is try to find medicated food. The best choice is Metromed, solely sold by Goldfishconnection.com, and they do overnight shipping. Or Jungle makes antibacterial food, that would be your second best choice if you don't wonna go with the Metromed.

Other than get, get Epsom salt (no other salt, it has to be Epsom), and ad 1/8 teaspoon per 5 gl of water. Also heat your water up to 84 degrees, and do it 2 degrees per hour. Some medication like Maracyn or Maracyn II will also be very good. Those are the basic things to get working on the dropsy as soon as possible.

As long as you don't have the medicated food, which should be fed with no other foods for 14 days, don't feed her pellets. Give her peas to give her relief from the constipation until the medicated food arrives.

Good luck, and definetely keep us posted! :)

Guest equuleus54

Okay now I'm really worried. My littlest Goldie now has like these liitle white dotes on his front fins, and one has a stringy thing coming off of it. It's not clear like an anchor worm it;s fuzzy white and so are the dots. Oh, does anyone know what this could mean?

I fed them some peas, my poor girl looks like she's going to explod :(:( Do you mean epson salts like you buy at the drug store?

thank you,

K