Sick Platy

balashark

okies, one of my platys isn't doin to hot. he's been eating normally; no more or less than he usually does or the other platys do. but instead of the usually full belly his looks empty, almost emaciated. more lethargic than the others, except at feeding time. loss of color. oh, and just i'd say 2 days ago his spine started curving. at first i thought it was just his hollow stomach making it look that way, but it's obvious now. this morning i noticed small dark lesions along his lateral line towards his dorsal.

unfortunately i'm pretty sure i know what it is, but i just want to hear it from someone else. anyone have any experience with piscine tuberculosis other than there's no cure?

well, the little guy seems to be on his last legs now, he can barely swim. i went to fish him out but as i did he floated into the cave. so now i gotta go do a water change and get him out of the cave. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Yes i think you are right with the TB diagnosis and i hope you keep your hands out of the aquarium or at least wear gloves for the time being and always wash your hands after being in the tank even when wearing gloves.

As long as the other fish didnt eat any of the sick one then you may be ok but it can live in your aquarium indeffinately and even if you decided to strip the tank and disinfect it wouldnt guarantee killing it.

You can get a strong antibiotic such as kanamycin sulfate or streptomycin to clear anything in the water.

If by any chance you get a rash on your arms or hands then tell your doctor about your tank.

well crap. i had read a while ago about the disease, and remembered it was transferable; so i did wear gloves when i got the platy out and washed my hands and arms right after with antibiotic soap, etc. i've been checkin my arms for rashes all morning since :crp

i don't want to have to wear gloves every time i clean the darn thing. i use a different syphon for my tropicals then my goldies and betta aq. so i'm good there. i'll have to pick up a new water change bucket for them though, incase the one i use for the tropicals in infected or something.

sheesh, i woudn't know even where to start for stripping the aquarium down. i mean i could get my 36 out and fill that up on the floor with old water and put the fish in there (catching my pictus cat's gonna be impossible w/out using a net, which i need a new one cuz i threw my old one out after getting the platty out) while i dump the water, disinfect the decor and the tank, fill it back up and let the filter run. darnit, another cycle.

i dunno, all my other fish were leaving this one alone surprisingly (thank goodness for peaceful fish) so i might just try the treatment reccomendation and pick up some full-arm gloves to use...

thanks for the reply sandy.

I wouldnt go transferring the fish into another tank as you will need to see if any other fish have it first. Get the meds and use that and hope its just the one fish that was infected.

Please think when going from tank to tank and ask yourself if what you are using has been in the infected tank, wouldnt want you to transfer anything. :(

Good luck with it all and keep us posted.

yea, i don't think i'm gonna transfer. just thinking out loud.

i found a marine biology place that reccomends pretty much the same thing you said, plus vitamin b12; so i'm gonna see what i can find as far as that goes.

do you or anyone else have any ideas on uv sterilization. i might have to save up for it but it could help.

Archived