Goldfish Myth Busted

mrbowlerdude

I don't know if anyone has ever seen the discovery channel show, Mythbusters. They take different myths and experimentally test them to prove or disprove them. Well a couple days ago (it may have been a re-run) they tested the myth that goldfish have a 3 second memory, and the reason why people put them in bowls was because by the time they swim around it (approx 3 seconds) they would forget they've been there before and it?s a whole new adventure to them.

Well of course I knew that the myth is false, but they proved it by training the fish to go through a maze to get to food. It was pretty cool. They used 3 or 4 tank dividers and made holes in them in different places for the fish swim through to reach the other side where the food is. And sure enough the goldfish could get through the maze in about 30 seconds after 45 days of training. I enjoyed the fact that they're teaching the public that fish aren't as stupid as most people assume them to be.

I wanted to share this with you guys. Not sure if it was a re-run, or someone already posted it. But I was impressed by it.

Yeah, that one was a rerun. I saw it like last year around this time (and I think it was a rerun then). I think I also mentioned it before on another thread, but it never hurts to remind people. :D

The Chicken Gun's one of my favorite episodes too! I love how scientific they get with building those crazy things, " ...We're going to need such and such amount of pressure built up to blow a frozen chicken out of this tube, so we're going to need to get such and such type of engine/ vaccuum/ whatever..." Great show. :lol:

Yeah, I saw that one too a while ago. What I found most impressive that those two guys also teached their viewers that goldfish need filters and that the water needs to be safe for fish (testing and all).

Other than that - I don't need the Mythsbusters to tell me that goldfish aren't dumb! :lol:

Take what you see on MythBusters as entertainment only and NOT scientific experimentation or investigation. They frequently make leaps of faith in conclusions, rarely follow proper procedure and constantly introduce factors without controls.....

They are strong on making machines and set ups that are fun to watch and make a big bang/splash/flash etc. for the TV audience. They are very weak on science and procedure.

As I recall, the one fellow nearly killed (or did kill his first set....?) all his fish with poor water parameters, for they did not even bother to do the research as to what a goldfish needed to live, much less set up an experiment to determine intelligence.

There were many flaws in that particular experiment's design... but all in all, it was still fun to see someone take an interest in the goldies.

I agree, Andrea. Having them realize and show that the fish needed proper water and filtration and such was a HUGE deal to me! :) I was thrilled to see it. "Proving" that the fish had "intelligence" is a plus in my book.

" ...We're going to need such and such amount of pressure built up to blow a frozen chicken out of this tube, so we're going to need to get such and such type of engine/ vaccuum/ whatever..." Great show. :lol:

429792[/snapback]

:rofl

Yeah, I saw that one too a while ago. What I found most impressive that those two guys also teached their viewers that goldfish need filters and that the water needs to be safe for fish (testing and all).

Other than that - I don't need the Mythsbusters to tell me that goldfish aren't dumb! :lol:

430058[/snapback]

Haha I agree :rofl ,It was a good episode though.

Archived